Amp Gas - which to research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Gas - which to research

What's up fellas? Getting hit with Amp gas so bad......Anyway, I'd like to do some research before going out and trying some amps out. Basically I'm looking for a 1x12 or 2x12 combo amp, 20w-50w. All Tube!! Price range between $400 - $800

What I have so far to keep me busy is:
    Peavey Classic 30
    Peavey 5150 or Triple XXX Combo
    Traynor YC40V (I think that's the number)
    Marshall ??? (Used JCM800 1x12?)
    Laney ???

As far as tone, I'm looking for classic Heavy Metal crunch, something that could make small children and the elderly cry when palm muting power chords [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Lead tones would be early Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Maiden, etc. If it doesn't have that type of gain stock, I can use a pedal. I also want it to be versatile enough where if I back off the gain, I can get some Zepplin, AC/DC and Sabbath type tones. It doesn't have to have the best clean channel, but as long as it's fairly clean, that would be cool. Right now I have a Marshall MG50DFX 1x12 Combo. It's really nice, but with all the built in effects, it's almost too much to fiddle around with to get good tones, I don't like fooling around with knobs, I like to set it and forget it, if that makes sense. I may keep the MG as a backup, or trade it in for the tube combo, not totally sure yet.

However, I don't want to keep buying amps, so the tube amp has to be reliable, durable, band practice worthy and be able to get good tones.

For guitars, right now I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio with EMG 81/85 pickups and a Fender Strat with the Tex Mex S/S/S pups. I'm looking to get a Jackson RR1 and maybe a Gibson SG or another Les Paul in the future. TIA

Re: Amp Gas - which to research

I think the XXX is very versatile. The 2x12 is hard to find used since it's so new but I've seen them for around $800 used. The 2 dirty channels give a lot of tones, moreso than the 5150.

Comment

Out of those I would go with the XXX. I've been considering that as my next amp after I move to Austrailia.

Comment

after I move to Austrailia.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Australia that is....just wanted to make sure I beat Racer-X to it.

Comment

My vote is the XXX, but I am a little biased. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Triple X combo.

Comment

I played a used Laney (whatever the latest Paul Gilbert model is - GH100L or something??) - great gain/tone/response. And I would think if you backed off on guitar volume or amp gain, it would do the Zep thing as well.
              HOWEVER, I have heard thay are not all that reliable....

Comment

Triple X!!! They Rule! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

i must agree on the XXX.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Triple XXX all the way. Jack.

Comment

Triple XXX are really nice. You could look at the ENGL Screamer 50 also. A little more expensive, but would be great for what you are looking for, IMO. Sounds pretty good from the clips I have heard. Good luck!

Comment

All the amps you've listed as potential purchases I've had a chance to try. The XXX is very versatile. That being said the old single channel JCM 800 isn't a bad choice either if you like a nice dry hard rock sound. They don't do clean that well (but passable for most people) and to go to super heavy tones they need a little boost on the front end.

Comment

Forgot to mention that I like the PV 30 alot too and it's nice and portable. A nice budget tube amp that get's great sounds. Used I see them under the $300 range regularly. No standby switch though.

Comment

...perhaps a Soldano Astroverb? i think thats near the upper tier of your price range though..

~E

Comment

Working...
                            X