Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my new laney

hi all

at the moment i'm first trying out my new laney. a in detail review will follow at the weekend, but for now my first impression is: tony iommi. period. you know, i fired it up, all pots on 5, started to fiddle around (very low volume, its quite late now you know?) and instantly got black sabbath....think heaven and hell or sweet leaf.
    a thick, fat, punchy hi gain tone. speaking of gain....fuck, it has too much gain [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] i cant wait till tomorrow when i'm able to crank the mofo [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] the clean sounds aren't that good, though. single notes are alright, but chords are not very clean....but who cares....am i playin fuckin rock n roll or top 40 covers?!?!?!?!

aaah, i'm so curious how it sounds in a live environment. our band is still looking for a rehearsal space, but once we got one i think i'll drown out some drummers *lol* i'm so sorry for my rythm guitarist......he's using a 65w valvestate combo. yeah baby, crank em *gggg*

greets
    fragle

Re: my new laney

Cool. What model, SS or tube?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm gonna take a punt that it's the GH100TI, Tony's signature tube head.
      Hail yesterday

Comment

I own a modded Laney GH100-L, and it's an awesome amp!
        It does the hotrodded Marshall thing quite well, although it does have A LOT of treble.
        It's very sensitive to what valves you put in as well.
        I owned a stock model a couple years ago and while it was decent, it was nowhere near my current one for tone or gain, more crunchy. And more noisy!

Comment

lol, sorry, i forgot to tell you which model it is [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

its a GH50 L. it has the stock tubes in it (not the original factory tubes, of course, but they are of the same type).....so its 12ax7 and 5881 i believe. not very sure though [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] i might change the tubes to el34 to give it a more british sound, but for now its ok. i'm not sure how good the tubes are, though. i only know they are ~ 1 year old, but have not been used at high volume, so they might still be in a good condition, but i dont know [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] i'm gonna change em as soon as i earned some money *lol*

i'm not at home at the moment, so when i get home i'll crank it and tell you what i think of it at loud volume.

greets
          fragle

Comment

Little great cheap tube head for sure.I used it for a couple of years,it was my first tube head and I was really happy with it.Now I'm selling it since I bought an Engl Fireball.

Comment

Definitely go with the EL34s, they should give you a major improvement in sound. Mine is fitted with EL34s, and the amp is a lot warmer because of it.
              The 5881s add to the shrillness of the amp, but then again, I'm not particularly fond of 5881s in general.

Comment

hi

well.....i tried it out now for an hour or so......lol, did i say i'm gonna crank it? hah! forget it, at 1,5 my windows start to rattle, at 2 i think i'll blow the door of my room and i don't think our house will withstand this beast on 2,5 *lol* damn i cant wait to bring the mofo to rehearsal.

mmh.....maybe its because of the "low" volume but i dont think that amp is particulary harsh and shrill. i think its rather dark sounding, just like iommi's sound. but maybe i have other standarts what harshness is, because i like treble heavy amps.....alright, no "strat into tubescreamer turned all the way to the treble side into cranked fender" - treble heavy, but i'm not into the whole bassy low end stuff thats goin on nowadays. but speaking of bass.......WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. damn mofo, resonance on, bass at 6,5 and i dont need a bass player anymore, especially with my 7string *headbang*

i'm sure i just scratched the possibilites of this amp, but for now i think its great. its cheap, its loud, its said to be reliable, and it seems to be quite versatile. you can actually get nice clean sounds by disengaging the drive boost and rolling down your vol. pot, at least with mids slightly scooped. when i dimed the mids i had to increase the gain at least 3 notches but then it sounded VERY zakk wylde - impressive. but forget playing clean with this gain level...lol.
                at the moment i have resonance on, bass 6.5, mid 3, treble 6,5, master 1,5, gain 5, drive 10, presence 9, and it sounds very good for classic metal such as iron maiden...actually its quite reminiscent of number of the beast.

so to sum it up: i like it so far! i'm going to see if i can get the volume up to three or something, if not then i'll have to wait till rehearsal. i recognized that it got brighter the louder it got...so maybe thats why you said its quite harsh and shrill.

greets
                fragle

Comment

Sounds great!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                  X