Derek or anyone Engl Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derek or anyone Engl Questions

What really are the differences between the Blackmore, Powerball, Savage? Is the savage worth the extra cost over the Blackmore etc.... I am loooking for someone like Derek who has played all three or at least two of them to compare if the difference is worth it

Thanks in Advance for your help!
    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
    So that none of its lies can affect me

Re: Derek or anyone Engl Questions

I've played the Blackmore and the Powerball, but not the Savage. I ended up buying a Powerball, and I posted a pretty in-depth review a few threads down.

As for the Blackmore-- It's a great amp. Similar cleans to the Powerball, good mid gain and crunch sounds, and a nice old school high gain. The high gain isn't even close to being as brutal as the Powerball's high gain, but if you are looking for a smoother tone for metal. If you think you might need more brutal tones then you are better off with the Powerball, because you can make the Powerball softer by backing off the presence and treble, but the Blackmore doesn't get any more brutal. Also, with the Powerball, the third and fourth channels have plenty of gain and the right voicing for metal. On the Blackmore, the third channel isn't very suited to metal IMO. The fourth channel is excellent for metal though. The Powerball also has more bass availabe than the Blackmore if that is important to you. Read my review on the Powerball for more detailed info if you want.

Hope that helps you.

Comment

Actually that helps a lot thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo:
        Actually that helps a lot thank you very much!
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey Tetsuo, Electric summed it up well between the PB and Blackmore.Another diffeence between the 3 is the Power sections.The PB has 6l6 powersection,Blackmore has a 5881 power section and the Savage has a 6550 powersection. Of the 3 the Blackmore is the brightest voiced amp with the least gain and lowend but it can still get some killer metal tones if that s what your looking for. The Powerball is the darkest sounding of the 3 and also the smoothest sounding as well. The Savage with the 6550's seem's to have a bit more grit on the high end than the other 2 as well. Feature wise there are alot of differences and similarities and if you got to my site www.rocksolidamps.com you can download the owner's manual's for each whaich are in PDF files and compare. Hope this helps.

Derek

Comment

Tetsuo,

I just got a Powerball from Derek and it kills. Channel 3 has more gain than you'll probably ever need. Channel 4 is insane. Read Electric's review of the amp in the other thread.

There are quite a few ways to shape your tone with the amp. I am still tweaking it. The only negative about the amp for me is that I have not been able to get a good sound using my new GMW with a DiMarzio Super D in the bridge (I know, lousy pickup).

Comment

Thanks for all the info. In description the savage actually sounds the best fit for me just because it is brighter by Dereks description but they all have had me wonmdering. First on my list of amps to get right now is one fo petes though so this is 3-4 months away for me

Comment

Working...
            X