Sovtek MIG 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sovtek MIG 100

Anyone use these? Got a possible good deal on one and I would like the skinny on it. It is the older one not to be confused with the h or U or S or B models.

Mods?

I have a Soldano Hotmod I want to throw in it so I am looking for a cheapie JCM 800 type amp. Is this a good cheap fix?

It has 6l6's in it now but I figure I can get it biased for whatever tubes I want it there... Maybe EL34's...

Re: Sovtek MIG 100

Chris, I believe the Mig 50 and Mig 100 are based on the Marshall Plexi and not the JCM800. They are built like tanks but I have heard by many that the Mig 50H is the one to mod. It is almost identical to the 50w Plexi I am told.

Comment

I never owned one but played a few. Whatever they are based off of, they remind me most of an 800. Plug a tube screamer into it and you're off to the races...

There were a lot of QC problmes with them and I've heard that transformers blow up here and there, and the pots are cheesy. But, they are cheap and sound cool for what they are. At a good price, I'd say it's a cool amp. They aren't usually too expensive, under $250us... Not sure about the different models though.

Pretty 800 sounding IMO.

Comment

I'm a long time Sovtek user (midget 50H). I also own a 50w JCM800 to compare it to. I've owned three of the midgets and have kept at least one in my arsenal for the last few years. I'm not too up on modding amps and usually just use them as is. I have spoken to several people who mentioned the cheesy pots but have never had a problem with mine. So far so good. I would recommend them in the lower price range and wouldn't go more than $350-$400 (I may have paid $300 once) for a nice one. I like mine for the portability although the 100 watter will not be as small. I think the 50H is very JCM like but has a little more punch on the low end. Sorry I can't tell you more about the 100w model. As with all tube amps I recommend giving it an extended workout before forking over the $$$

Comment

This one is in mint shape and is in the $350-400 range. I don't expect it to be like my SLO in the quality department. Just looking for a cheapie amp I might mod and have some fun with. Thanks for the advice guys. I will let you know what I decide to do. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The MIG100 is similar to the JCM800. They sound pretty good. They can be modded into monsters.
            Jerry
            FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Check it out carefully. I remember reading a review on one in Guitar Player many moons ago and on the one they had the mains fuse wasn't hooked to anything. Yikesky!

Comment

Whoa. Thanks for the heads up on that Chuck.

Comment

funny you should ask....i dont remember what i was playing. but it was sparking out the back according to my bud. by the time i noticed, it was smoking & a small flame was shooting out the back. i was all WTF, & my friend who was now hysterically laughing was telling me its was sparking out the back for a while & he thought it looked cool so he didnt say anything....fucking stoner....i only paid $250 for the head & cab so it wasnt a major loss.

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Sounds like you got your use out of it anyway. Thanks for the info.

Comment

i had a mig 50 great Rock sound didnt do the metal gain & shred tone but AC/DC early priest kind of sound it was great. the amp actually burst into flames so its gone now....but i still use the cab.

Comment

Did it happen while you were playing JP -Freewheel Burnin' or AC/DC - Shot down in flames???? lol.... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                        X