Mesa Nomad 45 Head questions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Nomad 45 Head questions??

There are so many qualified Mesa players here I figure somebody can answer these questions.
    I am interested in a Nomad 45 head.
    Let me preface my questions by saying that I currently use a Line 6 Flextone HD live with 2 Randall 4 x 12 cabinets wired in stereo stage left and right. My band plays:
    G&R
    Old Metallica
    Journey
    Dokken
    Ratt
    Priest
    Journey
    Def Leppard
    Queensryche
    Tesla
    Winger
    Kiss
    Aerosmith
    Basically all 80's music
    My plan is to run the Mesa Nomad with an A/B channel switcher along with the Flextone. Both amps will have cabinets stage left and stage right but I want to use the Mesa for the songs that require less gain like the Journey and the Aerosmith. Now to the questions...
    How is the gain on a Nomad 45?
    Does the gain and the overall tone sound anything like like a Dual or Triple Rectifier or a Mark IIC or is it more of a Fender blues deville type gain? I have no problem putting a pedal in front of it if I have too. What are your "expert" opinions of this amp or should I be looking for another Mesa.

Re: Mesa Nomad 45 Head questions??

i have a nomad 45 combo and in my opinion, it sounds nothing like a rectifier.

the cleans are really nice on this amp.

the gain channels are very flexible and i think it sounds more like a jcm 900 but with a thicker fuller sound.

i think its a good choice for 80's rock and it really does a good job getting those in between tones that the modeling amps have a hard time replicating.

i play similar stuff and i use an axis into a gt6 into nomad 45. most people that hear me play say my tone is pretty close to the record...unfortunately, my playing is pretty bad...lol

Comment

The inbetween tones are exactly what I am looking for. The Flextone sounds great but it doesn't react well to volume changes from the guitar. I need to dial down the crunch from my guitar and a tube amp is the only way to do it. What about the Mesa Mark III ?? There is one up for sale that I could probably swing too. Does it compare at all to the Nomad 45? The reviews on the Mark III are really good. I have played a Mark IIc that was killer so I would assume it must sound a little like it.

Comment

not to be a dick. but i do not like the nomad series. i think they are week and hard to dial in.

however i do love the mark 3's and had one for a few years. i think you'd be much happier with a mark series. and the 3 is the easiest one to get great sounds from.

~JW
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

i agree with you that it does take a bit to dial in a good sound.
          i think its because of how many options you have with the amp.
          i was trying to sell mine because i had a tough time dialing in a great sound.
          then i went on a cruise and one of the entertainment band's guitar player had a nomad 45.
          i talked to him about it and basically stole his settings.
          now i love my amp and the tone is awesome.
          the key is not to turn the gain to 10 and not to scoop the eq too much.
          this amp is not a dual rectifier and using those types of settings make it sound terrible.
          i use my nomad for clean sounds, semi clean and rock type of distortions and when i need all out metal, i use my gt6 to get the rectifier/5150 sounds.
          i also agree that the mark 3 is an excellent amp.
          really can't go wrong with a mesa.

Comment

data187,
            Can you please post how you run your cables.
            Guitar-to-(input GT6)-(Gt6 output)-to-(________)
            and the rest of the routing ??
            Thanks
            Finn

Comment

I have a Nomad 55 head coming in Tuesday, and am looking forward to toying with it.

I believe it comes with a different tube setup than the 45.

We shall see.

Shawn
              Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn:
                I have a Nomad 55 head coming in Tuesday, and am looking forward to toying with it.

I believe it comes with a different tube setup than the 45.

We shall see.

Shawn
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Shawn, I am absolutely interested in how it sounds!! Let me know bro... Thanks

Comment

I had a NOmad 55 (2 6L6 tubes) about three years ago. I didn't really enjoy it, but I could always get a good Aerosmith sound out of it.
                  The cleans were good, and the dirty Aerosmith type sound was right-ON!
                  But I was under the impression it could also scream with high gain, but it Can't!
                  So I got rid of it for that reason.

nandrew

Comment

finnman,
                    i am currently running the gt6 straight to the front of my amp.
                    the 4 cable method you are talking about is also very popular.
                    i tried that method and it didn't make that big of a difference for me.
                    you can go here:
                    http://bossgtcentral.com/modules.php...e1ea6ccc68c9a3
                    and get all the gt6 info you can every want.

Comment

Working...
                    X