Solid state amp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid state amp question

My nephew who started playing guitar 6 months ago wants to start jamming with his friends and needs an amp,he's not ready for a tube amp so he's going to buy a solid state one.Does anybody have suggestions as to what he should buy?

Re: Solid state amp question

Originally posted by diffrent strings:
    My nephew who started playing guitar 6 months ago wants to start jamming with his friends and needs an amp,he's not ready for a tube amp so he's going to buy a solid state one.Does anybody have suggestions as to what he should buy?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Depending on how much (or little) power he'd need, the Tech 21 Trademark 10 is a really good-sounding practice amp that might suit your nephew well. Plus, it can be used to drive headphones, a recording board, a PA or a larger amp, if need be. On top of that, it's very portable.
    Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

I am a big fan of modeling and SS amps but I have to ask the question... What do you mean by "he's not ready for tube amps"??? I don't see the logic in that statement.

Comment

Compare the price of a decent tube amp to the price of a decent ss amp and you'll see. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Does "friends" mean a drummer? If so he will need a little more power than 10 watts.

Comment

Yes he wants to play with a drummer,also he knows nothing about amps and this will be his first the kid is in grade 9 and has to pay for this himself.So he needs a reliable amp with little or no upkeep

Comment

Marshall valvestate series...or maybe a Line 6 combo...

Comment

I didn't care for the sound, but the Fender Roc-Pro is powerfull.
                The Marshall AVT20 I had sounded great at bedroom levels, but got 'flabby' at high volume. I was always tempted to find an AVT50 and put a Celestion V30 in it, but that's getting up there in price. I'd look at Randall or the RocPro - simple and reliable.
                On a side note, the Crate Vintage Club 30 or Peavey Classic 30 is all tube and around $300, I dunno how much gain can you get out of those tho.
                Carvin X-Amp (XB?) is in that range too, I've used one of those and they are pretty cool all-tube goodness for ~$300.
                I tried out a Marshall Valvestate V65, and it didn't sound as good as the AVT20 to me and I've heard reliablility can be an issue.
                When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

The Peavey Bandit is 1x12 and 100 Watts if I'm not mistaken. Nice amp for the price.

Comment

Fender Roc Pro combo - ebay 2-300
                    really peavey has it all and at affordable prices.

honestly, if you go the solid state route, he'll need at least a 100 watts. with a tube amp, he could get away with 50.

i'd look into a 2x12 combo if you're planning on keeping the amp for a good amount of time.

also create's would do just fine. i had an old creat g130xl that got me through years and years of jamming with bands.

but ebay is where i would start.

if you want to spend a little more, the line 6 flextone combo's are great and have all the effects that he'll ever need biult right in.

anyway, good luck, hope this helps.
                    ~JW
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

thanks for you're input guys much appreciated

Comment

Everyone's situation and ear for tone are different but I'll throw in my .02 There are lots of decent giggable solid state amps out there for a lot of dough. For musicians (young and old) sometimes shopping can be half the fun. I have an early 90's Peavey Express 1x12 that I've had for years. It's a 65 watter like several Peavey amps including the Bandit. Not my favorite distortion but it has 2 channels and a headphone out. I would think you could find these for below $150 all day long. They're reliable and cheap. If later you want loud buy a cheap chorus and another amp. There are probably similar examples in the Crate line as well.

Comment

Peavey Transchorus 210. 3 channels and it rips.

Comment

The Peavey Transtube line is well built and sounds great. I don't know the models offhand, but get something with 100 watts, 2x12s would be ideal but 1x12 wil be fine.
                            They're cheap, too!

Comment

I'll second on the Peavey line. THey are really a bargain, and while many will say that they don't sound as good as a Marshall, they are built like tanks, loud as hell, and very reliable. The transtube series seem to have very versatile tone controls and plenty of gain if he needs it. YOu can even find the older Peaveys dirt cheap used. I was playing through some of the newer Crate amps the other day, and they seem kinda shoddy-loose pots an such. Just head down to a well stocked store and try some out. I am also a fan of Fender solid state maps-I have had one for ten years. It is a 65 watt 1x12 combo and have never had the volume past 2-even while being super obnoxious in my college days.

Comment

Working...
                              X