Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheap and easy way to quiet a 5150

without buying a THD hotplate or something

have your effects loop on, but deny all of your pedals in the loop their power suppply. it cuts volume by alot, you can crank the post gain to 5 or 6 and it would still be bedroom level.

Re: cheap and easy way to quiet a 5150

Thanks fellow 5150 lover, never thought of that [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I always play mine LOUD!!!

(what did you say)

This reminds me of this little black "Volume Box" some guy was pusing on evilBay saying you throw it in your effects loop, turn the one knob on it, and it attenuates the volume without being in the speaker cable / Otuput trannny's way, cool idea.

Comment

umm.....i'm not sure, but i think this way you WILL cut the volume, but will NOT get nice poweramp saturated sounds at bedroom volume, because you basically add another volume knob in front of your poweramp instead of cutting the volume AFTER the poweramp like a hotplate etc does. you get that poweramp crunch at low volume by driving the poweramp hard and cutting the volume between speaker and p-amp. but if you cut the volume in the fx loop you won't drive your p-amp hard.

what you described is basically the sam thing as a volume pedal in the fx loop set very low. its quiet, but not poweramp saturated quiet.

greets
      fragle

ps: i may be wrong.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I've done this sort of thing before on accident, and in my opinion, it sounds like McShit..but thats just me [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Fragle:
          umm.....i'm not sure, but i think this way you WILL cut the volume, but will NOT get nice poweramp saturated sounds at bedroom volume, because you basically add another volume knob in front of your poweramp instead of cutting the volume AFTER the poweramp like a hotplate etc does. you get that poweramp crunch at low volume by driving the poweramp hard and cutting the volume between speaker and p-amp. but if you cut the volume in the fx loop you won't drive your p-amp hard.

what you described is basically the sam thing as a volume pedal in the fx loop set very low. its quiet, but not poweramp saturated quiet.

greets
          fragle

ps: i may be wrong.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No, I'd say you're right. Unless the attenuation is coming after the power stage, it's not really doing anything to get you that cranked-amp sound.

Comment

Working...
          X