I need bass amp help FAST!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need bass amp help FAST!

Just found out there is a band in my development that needs a bass player. Having played bass about 20 years ago, I am out of the loop when it comes to bass amps. I have an my old peavey cab, but need to get a head ASAP. What is a reasonable but decent sounding head these days?

[img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Re: I need bass amp help FAST!

Hmm.. I hate to say this but really the easiest solution is to just go to your local store and play through some gear there... Used bass gear is typically pretty easy to find. I'd suggest going for something that can be rackmounted especially if you're going to be gigging frequently (those heads get torn up even if you're really careful!).

When I went out and bought my bass head I just went to all the different places with a bass and went down the line testing one after another after another.

What Peavey Cab do you have?

Comment

Peavey, Ampeg and Yorkville all have heads in the $400-500 range, and I personally have always been partial to Peavey. Behringer just came out with a bass head a few months back, and although some folks will give it a "thumbs down" simply because of the Behringer name, the specs look pretty impressive for the price. The model is Ultrabass BX3000T and MF is selling them at $229 in their current catalog.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Inearthed:
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">2x15 cab, it is thunderous. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph E.:
          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Inearthed:
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">2x15 cab, it is thunderous. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Awesome... I have a Peavey 4x10 with a Max 700 head and the tones I get out of it are really nice.

Originally posted by Inazone:
          Peavey, Ampeg and Yorkville all have heads in the $400-500 range, and I personally have always been partial to Peavey. Behringer just came out with a bass head a few months back, and although some folks will give it a "thumbs down" simply because of the Behringer name, the specs look pretty impressive for the price. The model is Ultrabass BX3000T and MF is selling them at $229 in their current catalog.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">A local store in my area had about 7 BX3000T's and they all were sold within a week of them arriving. As I said above I use a Peavey Max 700 and its pretty sweet. The Ampeg stuff I've played on is very nice too.

Comment

Maybe this is offtopic, but I heard that Bob Daisley played through Randy's heads for a few sessions. Is that true? Have you thought of just buying a cab? What are you guys opinions on doing that?
            When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

You should be able to find a used Ampeg SVT 3 pro, for around 500.00. That would kick ass through your Cabinet. It's 450 watts @ 4 ohms, and has great tone.

Comment

Don't know what you're looking to spend but on the cheap side I've used a Fender BXR300 (? sorry not looking at it right now) for several years. It's solid state w/plenty of power. Mine's in a rack. It has a fan and has been problem free for over a decade. I purchased it used. I also run through a Peavey cab. I think the suggestion about just checking out what's available used is the best idea. I'm pretty sure I paid under $200 for mine back in the day. Lots of used bass gear available

Comment

Update:

Bought a cheap ass USA Fender bass at the GC Memorial day sale ($499).

Picked up a used Peavey Mark III Centurion 260C head off ebay for $145 (will be here tomorrow).

Looks to be the same head I used back in the eighties. I loved it then, so i'm hoping I do now!

Comment

Awesome. Post some pictures if you can!

Comment

Crap I'm too late!! I was gonna suggest an Ampeg B2R head...I love those heads, and they're around the $500 range too. Good luck with your new band Ralph!

Comment

Working...
                      X