Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Peavey 5150 2-12" combo worth $400???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Peavey 5150 2-12" combo worth $400???

I have a chance at a 5150(not sure if it's 5150 2 or the older one..I'd say the first one)for $400..is this a good deal? Anyone have one?Thinking about using it and my other amp live..Any comments would be appreciated..thanks,cort

Re: Is Peavey 5150 2-12" combo worth $400???

$400 is pretty good for a 5150 combo. It's the original 5150, not the 5150II. They don't make a 5150II combo. Very heavy and bulky amps. I didn't care for the tone as much as the head version.
    Jerry
    FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

My one warning would be that it is big / awkward and heavy. The guitar player for the band I play bass in used to have one and it would take up the better portion of his backseat and he couldn't lift it himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Inearthed:
        My one warning would be that it is big / awkward and heavy. The guitar player for the band I play bass in used to have one and it would take up the better portion of his backseat and he couldn't lift it himself.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] yeah they are bastards aren't they lol //Steve

Comment

Re: Is Peavey 5150 2-12&quot; combo worth $400???

that is the only reason I sold my 5150 combo. After giggin with it for 2 years I just couldn't take carrying it around anymore. Really friggin heavy and awkward. Sounds great though...

Comment

Get the amp, then work out to get strong enough to carry it around. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Or get your roadie(s) to do it for you! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

MF catalog says it is 85 lbs. That is heavy for an amp, but it's not hernia-heavy. Just remember, lift with the legs!

Comment

My VHT Pittbull CLX 100 Combo weighs about 100 pounds, now that is heavy [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by etaeniura:
                    MF catalog says it is 85 lbs. That is heavy for an amp, but it's not hernia-heavy. Just remember, lift with the legs!
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Its not the weight of the amp that really makes it difficult its the size plus the weight. I could lift the thing and carry it around myself but my other guitar player who was 5'11" and weighed about 170 at the time couldn't lift the thing on his own because his arms would be stretched so far around it. Its big and is built like a tank.

Comment

I see. I guess I am jst a big dumb oaf. 6'2" 270lbs. I guess Eddie doesn't care how much it weighs, since he can pay people to move it.....

Comment

Thanks for all the info..I should have it this week..I was thinking of using it for smaller shows instead of hauling around the 4-12" cabinet and the head I use.Sounds like that might be easier than the combo though..thanks,Cort

Comment

Originally posted by etaeniura:
                          I see. I guess I am jst a big dumb oaf. 6'2" 270lbs. I guess Eddie doesn't care how much it weighs, since he can pay people to move it.....
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I know how it is man.. I'm 6'3" 200 and I always get stuck with lifting the majority of the gear whenever we play anywhere.

Comment

The weight is only really a factor if you have to carry it for long distances. If you are throwing it in your car and unloading it right at the gig, it isn't such a big deal. That is one of the problems with a place like NYC. If you want to jam or have a gig, you have to get all of your equipment down a few flights of stairs, get it outside and then walk it to the subway, where you have to carry everything down more flights of stairs, etc...You can't even leave some and go back for it because it will get stolen. You basically have to pack everything on your person. It sucks...trust me. I was going to audition for a band, and was actually thinking of buying a small tube amp just for the audition, so that I could hold it in one hand, have my double gig bag on my back and still bring a small pedalboard.

Comment

It isn't impossible to lug around. I think that the head and a closed back cabinet sound better than the combo but with that said... the combo friggin rips bro. I loved mine and I got tons of compliments every time I played. I rarely had the gain over 6. I even thought the clean channel wasn't totally horrible. It sounds better with stomp boxes. I didn't like how it sounded with anything through the effects loop except a YJM308 that I used for solo boost only.

Comment

Working...
                              X