Amp Selection help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Selection help!!

Which under $800.00 used 2+ channel non-boutique amp head has the most bang for the buck and would be the most suitable for 80's type metal and rock?
    Peavey 5150
    Mesa Dual Recto
    Mesa 50 cal
    Mesa Nomad 45
    Mesa Mark III
    Crate Blue Voodoo
    Carvin Legacy
    Marshall JCM800, 900
    Randall Cyclone or Titan
    Any of the Laney's
    Line 6 HD147
    Line 6 Duo-verb
    Fender Cyber-Twin

Re: Amp Selection help!!

Get a Peavey Triple XXX! They're around that range, and are just as good as a triple channel Recto. I was going to dish out the $$ for a Recto, but there was no need, the XXX is a great amp. A good friend of mine has a Dual recto, and my amp can certainly hang with his. I run an EQ pedal with mine, but I think thats because I'm quite picky.

Comment

I'd go for the 5150, or the jcm800.
      I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

From your list...

I'd go HD147 for sheer versatility or the Mesa Mk III (which is really a 3 channel amp, but it's hard to get more than 2 channels at once sounding good). If you were really careful, you could possibly find a Vetta for around $800 used... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

I have been trying to score a Mark III for a few weeks now but I have gotten sniped on Ebay everytime so far. Does the Mark III sound at all like the Dual or Triple Recto? I am really not a fan of that type of Mesa tone.

Comment

No, it dosen't. It has a killer cutting high gain sound that stays together. Tweaker heaven, though. Be prepared to spend some time with it to find the "sweet spot". Highly recommended, plus they hold their value.
            Get one with the 5 band eq. Mandatory!

Comment

i'd say the best bang for the buck is a laney, particulary the gh series. i got one and i dont regret it at all. AND i got the complete halfstack for less than 600€ @ ebay [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              it will for sure sound killer for that 80's rock/metal stuff, but its able to do more. if you set it right you can get everything from sparkling fender clean (a strat does help, though *lol* ) over marshall crunch to full on mesaish assault. it all depends on your guitar, settings and the tubes. mine is still equipped with 6l6 tubes, but i can get VERY close to my favourite sound (kreator - live kreation). i'll swap them for some el34 to make it perfect (at the moment its a bit too bassy and hasn't as much upper mid punch as i want it to have.....el34 should fix that). but i also got sounds (especially due to the 6l6) very close to the rectifiers.

well, i'd call that a bang for the buck [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

so basically, if singing leads and basically every rythm sound from black sabbath to kreator is what youre after, you cant go wrong with the laney. (it won't to master of puppets, though. at least not by itself, maybe with shitloads of external eqing and other fx stuff)

greets
              fragle

Comment

OK, here is what I have narrowed it down to:

Peavey Triple X
                Peavey 5150
                Mesa Mark III
                Marshall JCM800 2204
                Voodoo labs modded Marshall JCM800 that I am talking to a fellow JCF'r about currently.

What appeals to me the most about the Triple X and the Mesa Mark III is the fact that they both have 3 channels which is very convenient for me considering I need clean, heavy crunch and solo in many of the songs my band does. I don't like scooped tones and I am wondering if the Triple X is voiced like the Mesa Dual or Triple Recto considering cosmetically they look very similar. I like the more midrange types like Def Leppard, Dokken, Scorpions Blackout type tone. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
                  OK, here is what I have narrowed it down to:

Peavey Triple X
                  Peavey 5150
                  Mesa Mark III
                  Marshall JCM800 2204
                  Voodoo labs modded Marshall JCM800 that I am talking to a fellow JCF'r about currently.

What appeals to me the most about the Triple X and the Mesa Mark III is the fact that they both have 3 channels which is very convenient for me considering I need clean, heavy crunch and solo in many of the songs my band does. I don't like scooped tones and I am wondering if the Triple X is voiced like the Mesa Dual or Triple Recto considering cosmetically they look very similar. I like the more midrange types like Def Leppard, Dokken, Scorpions Blackout type tone. Any suggestions?
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you're looking for one for three channel use, don't get the Mk III... I guarantee you're going to have one hell of a time getting three tones at the same time that you like. Two are possible, three are really tough. They can be modded, but stock it's nearly impossible.

Pete

Comment

I thought VHTs were a LOT more! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

When are you gonna sell yours, Jack? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Never sell it dude, it will be buried with me!! I paid $1150 Used for it about 2 years ago in Mint condition with the footpedal and cover. Not cheap, but considering it was about $2500 new in 1993, I did pretty good [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

A few local players suggested that I try a low wattage single channel Soldano like:
                        Atomic 16 or the Astroverb. There are NO Soldano dealers around here so demo'ing one is not going to happen. Has anybody ever played through either or these amps? The Hot Rod 50 and the SLO are more than I want to spend for a back up amp and low wattage tube amps always seem to sound better because you can crank them live.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
                          A few local players suggested that I try a low wattage single channel Soldano like:
                          Atomic 16 or the Astroverb. There are NO Soldano dealers around here so demo'ing one is not going to happen. Has anybody ever played through either or these amps? The Hot Rod 50 and the SLO are more than I want to spend for a back up amp and low wattage tube amps always seem to sound better because you can crank them live.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'd get a mesa .22+ long before I'd get an atomic 16 or astroverb.

Pete

Comment

I'll second that having owned both.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer:
                              Never sell it dude, it will be buried with me!!
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">HA HA that's what YOU think. Just let me know in which graveyard you will be interred; I'll show up with a shovel! [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

(To the tune of "Buried Alive" by Mercyful Fate)
                              [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X