X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Amp Selection help!!

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
    I'll second that having owned both.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If it was offered in a amp head only version I would be interested but I don't need a 1 x 12" combo. I have a really kick ass 2 x 12" Randall cabinet that would be perfect for a small sized head like the Soldano or the Mark III.

Comment

A triple X can be had for about 450-500 with low use. I wouldn't totally dismiss either the Laney GH's or a Blue Voodoo just yet if you consider gain and versatility. I'm suprised since you loved the Quad X, you're quick to dismiss the Carvin stuff..lotta bang for the buck as you know.

I've seen the Hot Rod 50 ++ go for around 600.00. They sound killer, great gain, but I personally do not believe they clean up very well.

I bought a small logo JMP reissue, the 1987S, for 670.00 shipped. It was first series made in '88 for about a year before the 1987X reissues came out in around '92. I love it for just those types of tones you mention. The classic midrange bite and honk of a Marshall. No master, but I use a pair of yellow jackets to bump the wattage down when needed or a SE100. I'm rather partial to these amps tho.

I thin the Mesa 22+ clips I've heard are impressive as well.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by charvelguy:
        [QB] A triple X can be had for about 450-500 with low use. I wouldn't totally dismiss either the Laney GH's or a Blue Voodoo just yet if you consider gain and versatility. I'm suprised since you loved the Quad X, you're quick to dismiss the Carvin stuff..lotta bang for the buck as you know.

I was considering a Legacy or even a MTS3200 but I would like to find a smaller sized head to match my smaller sized Randall 2 x 12 cabinet. It looks exactly like a Marshall 4 x 12 slant top but downsized. A full sized head looks like ass on it. I had a Marshall 8100 (VS100) that was the perfect size for it but I had to sell it a while back.

Comment

The Crate BV 50 & 60's are smaller sized as are the Laney's. Carvin X50B & X60 are smaller sized as well. With a graphic they are really versatile amps. Don't see to many of these come around. I've heard the Peavey Classic 50 sounds very similar to a Marshall as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Chuckracer:
            I'll second that having owned both.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If it was offered in a amp head only version I would be interested but I don't need a 1 x 12" combo. I have a really kick ass 2 x 12" Randall cabinet that would be perfect for a small sized head like the Soldano or the Mark III. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They were offered in heads, just not a lot of em out there. But they do exist.

Pete

Comment

So Pete, I take it you are not a fan of the Soldano Atomic 16 or the Astroverb? I value your opinion of course. They get such great reviews and I love that treble/sizzle Soldano gain.
              How about the Mesa F50 or the DC5?

Comment

Triple XXX, they rock!! For a little more if your lucky, a used VHT Pittbull CLX 100 with the EQ will tear all of them apart. Jack.

Comment

So Pete, I take it you are not a fan of the Soldano Atomic 16 or the Astroverb? I value your opinion of course. They get such great reviews and I love that treble/sizzle Soldano gain.
                  How about the Mesa F50 or the DC5?
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I just really dig the Mesa .22+ amps. I had a .50 mesa that ran EL84s - it was like a .22 from hell. Sounded much better than the 6L6 .50s and smoked the DC3 and 5 (I owned a DC3 and DC5). The DC amps to me don't sound as good as the old 'caliber' series, but are more flexible. The .22+s just sing.

Another amp that nearly falls into your price range is the Rocktron/Egnater TOL100. FOUR channels, all tube, midi switchable... and they sell for $800-$1000. The one I had smoked my Mk III boogie by far.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
                    If you're looking for one for three channel use, don't get the Mk III... I guarantee you're going to have one hell of a time getting three tones at the same time that you like. Two are possible, three are really tough. They can be modded, but stock it's nearly impossible.

Pete
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm gonna chime in with Pete on this one. The Mark III is a great head but unfortunately you cannot really pull off the 3 channel switching. The Mark III definitely is a tweakers amp, since you can really get some solid tones out of it but you have to spend time dialing in the tones, its simply not reasonable to use it in a live situation unless you plan on using one channel the entire time. Sooner or later I will probably try to get rid of mine since I don't really use it very often (it is way too loud).

Comment

i personally think you'd be happiest with the peavey XXX. it is honestly the "best bang for the buck"

second choices

50watters
                      single recto (rectoverb)
                      .50 cal (el84 version)

100watters
                      dual rectoverb
                      mark III

JMO
                      ~JW
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

OK, I just bought a Soldano Astroverb. It was a buy now for $600.00 on Ebay. That is usually what they sell for. It looks mint. I have never played one but I figure that if I don't like it I could always sell it for the same amount I payed for it. I really don't play with super high gain. Actually, most of my Flextone HD patches are pretty dialed down in the gain department. They cut through and sound clearer that way. I also solo much better when my guitar is a little cleaner. I will give a full report once I get it.
                        My first Soldano!!

Comment

...and MESA wept.

Comment

I had 3 Mesa's. A Dual Recto, a Triple Recto and a Studio 22+. I didn't like the Recto's only because they sounded best when they were too friggin loud. The Studio 22+ might have been the greatest sounding 1 x 12" combo I had ever heard. Unfortunately I could never be heard in my band at the time with a 1 x 12" combo. That was precisely when the Carvin Quad X came around. I have relied on channel switching for different guitar sounds for the last 20 years. My first 7 years of gigging were with a Hiwatt 100 watt singel channel head, 2 red Marshall 4 x 12" cabinets bought indirectly from Buddy Miles, an MXR Distortion + and a Phase 90. I think that was the best sound I ever had. Hopefully the single channel Soldano will bring be back to the basics. I am even gonna try gigging with it a few times and leave my Flextone HD home.

Comment

I am even gonna try gigging with it a few times and leave my Flextone HD home.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What about a backup? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yea, your right. I always bring 2 amps for gigs.

Comment

Working...
                                X