X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JCM help?

Which 2 channel ones are the good ones?
    Is the 50w Dual Reverb JCM900 any good?
    My buddy just bought a Vetta 2 (totally awesome amp) and I have just come to the conclusion that I love the Marshall high gain sound and I always have. I play a Flextone HD and all of my tone banks are based around the Marshall models. Since I have a few bucks laying around from selling a few guitars I figured I would get myself a Marshall JCM. Which one should I get. I play 80's rock and metal.

Re: Marshall JCM help?

I didn't like any of the 2 channel JCM800-900's. I saw your other post as well and I would suggest a JCM800 2204 single channel and push it with an MXR or an original ProCo Rat. That would be kick ass dead on 80's rock and metal.

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

Another vote for the 2204 if you're looking for a 50 watter. I have one myself and it has satisfied my 80's gain urges for some time. Most people say it's a "one trick pony" (no reverb/no channel switching/no FX loop) but that one trick is sure nice. I use pedals to push the front end for extra gain. I usually use a Metal Zone but my buddy plugged in his new MXR Double Shot distortion a couple of days back and it sounded super sweet.

Comment

So I guess the 50w 2204 is the one to get?

Comment

2203 is the 100w beast of pure metal tone but like the 2204 it isn't high gain in terms of todays gain monsters. They are great with a Boss SD-1 pedal in front. I agree the single ch JCM 800s are the better ones.
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

I wouldn't waste your time with the JCM900 series. Far from what I would consider "high gain". Why not just go with a Soldano Hot Rod series? It comes close to the Marshall crunch, but you can also dial in gain for days. Price wise, I think they're getting closer due to all the JCM800 hype these days. I love the 800's, but they need to be modded or have something slamming the front end -- or played deafeningly LOUD! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

i also like the older MKII
                same problem tho, needs to be mod'd or kicked in the front end with a pedal to get a great sound.

Comment

I had a 2210 that sounded great (channel switching 100 watt head) - Deneb has it now. It did the marshall thing just fine, had an fx loop and two channels. You might want to check them out for yourself and see what you think. Most of the bad rep that the channel switching JCM800s had was because they used clipping diodes for the lead channel.

Strangely enough, the Boss DS1 and the Ibanez tube screamers all use clipping diodes, and those are pedals that most people tell you to boost single channel JCM800s with. Also, putting an overdrive pedal in the front of a JCM800 with the gain cranked makes a lot of noise and hiss.

Pete

Comment

If you need 2 channels (clean & distortion) go with the DSL 100/50.

If you can get by with just one channel and rolling back the volume knob on your axe, the JCM800 2203/2204 is hard to beat.

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I dig my jcm 800 (50 watter)
                      if you get one get a soldano hot mod
                      plug it in and hold on
                      i can never get my gain past 4-6
                      i went through 14 2204 models jmp's & jcm's
                      and kept the 2 that were the best [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X