Opinions Sought RE: Time-Based Effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions Sought RE: Time-Based Effects

I have a Tech 21 amp, which I love for overall tone and distortion, but I'd like to add reverb, echo/delay, chorus and flanger capability. I don't need amp modeling, just effects.

The tone I'm looking for is, first and foremost, classic EVH. Secondarily, I'd be into copping Zakk's tone. Guitar-wise, I'm using Jacksons with EMG 85 and various Seymour Duncans (JB, Custom, Custom Custom).

I'm considering the following possibilities, listed from least to most expensive:

Behringer X V-Amp ($69)*
    Yamaha Magic Stomp ($199)
    Visual Sound H2O Liquid Chorus & Echo ($149) + Boss Flanger ($99) = $249
    Boss ME-5 ($299)
    Boss Chorus Ensemble ($79) + Boss Flanger ($99) + Boss RV-3 ($170) = $348
    GNX 3 ($399)*
    Pod XT ($399) + $99 footswitch = $499
    TC Electronic G Major ($499) + $99 footswitch = $599

* Assuming I can turn off amp modeling

Anyone have opinions to share RE: these or others?
    Thanks. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Opinions Sought RE: Time-Based Effects

If you're getting a GMajor, look for a used one. They're right around $400 used on ebay.

Comment

Thanks, I'll do that if I go that route.

Comment

For Classic EVH you'd want an MXR Phase90.

For Chorus/Flange, Delay, and Reverb all in one (and switchable/programmable in/out of a patch) I'd go with a used Digitech unit that had all that like a GSP21/Pro/Legend or Yamaha SPX90.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I agree, the phase 90 is a must for EVH sounds.
          For the other fx, when on a budget there are a lot of possibilities, like the yamaha spx90 for chorus/detune, but don't forget the digitech IPS33 and DHP33 which are also great for that occasion and are the secret weapon for those guys that want their whammy in a rack.
          When you get lucky, you might find a digitech tsr-24 which is also awesome.
          But you can't miss with a GMajor. It's a great machine for the money you have to pay for it.
          If it is only delay/rvb/ch a TC M1 might also be a good idea.

Cheers,

Leon..

Comment

Does the G-Major work for bass?

Comment

Great suggestions, guys. Thanks! I hadn't thought of SPX90, or the Digitech rack-mount processors. I'm actually not that into the Phaser EVH used to use so much, but you're right, it is prevalent.

Comment

Well, the G-major is great, but if you don't want to spend the bucks, an Alesis Quadraverb 2 or Q2 is a great sounding effects processor with alot of flexibility.

Comment

If you go with the G Major, don't buy the G Minor foot switch; buy a proper midi controller with expression pedal.

- E.
                  Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

Working...
                  X