Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 ohm - 16 ohm tonal difference

hi

i wonder why there is a tonal difference between 4ohm and 16ohm? because if i tweak my amp (16ohm out into 16ohm in of my cab) and get a killer sound and then switch to 4 ohms out into 4 ohm it sound shit [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] (of course i switch the impedance with the amp turned off....i dont want to blow my transformer or whatever [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )
    furthermore, 16ohms seem to sound punchier and tighter than 4 ohms. how come? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

greets
    fragle

ps: amp related question, but i dont want to start a new thread. i know that when turning my amp on i have to switch on power first and then wait a few minutes and then standby on. what about turning it off? should i turn standby off and then immediately afterwards power off or should i wait a bit before turning power off?

Re: 4 ohm - 16 ohm tonal difference

Most electrical circuits change tonal character depending on load - both impedance load and capacitor (sp?) load. Some more than other. I guess that's what you are experiencing.

I don't see why you should wait a bit (minutes) before turning power off. Only if you have an amp with active cooling fans. Then i would let them run for a minute or two before turning power off, to avoid exessive temperature build up in high temp. environments. By letting the fans cool the tube amp for a moment, you can begin move your amp much sooner (at live gig end). Don't move hot tubes.

/Henrik
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Working...
    X