EMG 85/ 9 or 18 Volts/ Custom Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG 85/ 9 or 18 Volts/ Custom Order

I am probably going to order a Custom shop Jackson or Hamer, and will probably get the EMG 85, but would you guys suggest getting it set up for the standard 9 Volt or 18 Volt setup? I have heard the difference, and it seams to me that the 18 Volr system sounds a little louder and with more jest if you will, any comments on this? I also imagine I will have to get a double battery box built in to the back of the guitar, I don`t think 2 9 Volt batteries will fit very well in the control cavity? Thanks-Jack.

Re: EMG 85/ 9 or 18 Volts/ Custom Order

Not sure that it is louder, but I find that the transient headroom is better and there seems to be a bit more edge or life to them at 18 volts... It's the way I always run them nowdays along with the PA-2 preamp. With a tube amp, that PA-2 preamp is awesome. It makes my CAE3+se come alive bigtime, it's a tremendous difference and I have one in every guitar now as well.

Comment

Thanks Cleve!! I think if I go EMgs, I will go 18 volts, but I still may go passive and with my favorite passive pickup, the Rio Grande BBQ Bucker, a very fat chunky pickup, the best palm muting pickup I have ever heard!! Jack.

Comment

the SL1 I just sold had the EMGs running @ 18V and both 9Vs fit just fine in the control cavity (using the little metal battery clip type holders to keep them in place); just fyi [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I also really like what running them at 18V did for the sound, not really any noticable increase in output, but definetely more.. "alive".

Comment

That`s good to hear Yabba, hell the upgrade is pretty cheap to 18 volts, at least on a Jackson anyways. i am only going Hamer if they will loosen up and build me a 1 Hum Chapp Custom with ALL of my specs, or I will go Jackson. Jack.

Comment

I have 85/60 combo in my SL2H running at 18 volts. Doubling the voltage does make them sound fuller/livelier. Don't worry about battery space. I put 2 batteries wrapped in foam in my Soloist's cavity.

Comment

Working...
            X