Lightweight amplifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightweight amplifiers

They should not be more than 15 kilos. They should have preamp and poweramp stages. They shoudln't be expensive and don't need to have high wattage. i.e. for clubs and home practice.

DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF THEY EXIST???

Re: Lightweight amplifiers

The Chase,

Try Musician's Friend or whatever retailer you like, there are plently or 15watt amps to be had for under $100. MF has ones for $35, though I don't know how good they are.

Joe

Comment

He's not asking for 15 watts, he wants under 15 kilos.

You're right though. If you want cheap, and light, a small practice amp is your best bet. In my experience, I've never had a lightweight amp that sounded good. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I had a Songworks that was the lightest amp I've ever owned and it had a tube in the preamp. I never really dialed it in like I'd like to but it was pretty powerful for the size. Got that AC/DC in a box sound down to a T

Comment

fender roc pro
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I'd also recommend checking out amps by Tech 21: Tech 21 NYC . They make some very good sounding amps that are solid state. Their smallest offering, the Trademark 10, is quite small but has the capability to push a 4x12 and it also has line-out abilities for direct recording or going directly to a PA system. If that amp is too small, they offer other models in larger sizes.
            Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by The Chase:
              They should have preamp and poweramp stages.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">All amps have preamp and poweramp stages. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Do you mean you want one with tubes?
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, tube stages [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                I'm facing certain dilemas now:
                either to buy a really lightweight tube amp head
                or
                buy like a JMP-1 or H&K Tubeman with the Red Box
                I'm fighting with weight. Also, I don't live in US, but in Europe which really limits my choices. I also want a tube amp, because you have to pay more attention to the 'cleanliness' of playing.

Comment

try a laney lc15r

Comment

Maybe something like the Mesa/Boogie F-30 short head? I've got the 1x12 combo version and think it's awesome. It's got 2 EL84s and 4 12AX7s. They also make the F-50 medium-sized head (2 6L6s) and F-100 long head (4 6L6s). Check 'em out. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_In.../F-series.html
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Combo or just an amp head?

Comment

Just an amp head, which shouldn't cost more than 400 bucks

Comment

Used is ok

Comment

Originally posted by The Chase:
                            Just an amp head, which shouldn't cost more than 400 bucks
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You know, if you want a lightweight head and used is OK, you might look for an old Tubeworks RT head. It uses a 12AX7 in the preamp with a solid-state amp and it's got two channels. Billy Gibbons was one of the endorsers for Tubeworks back in the day. I recently saw a used RT head a Guitar Center near me for $199. I think the weight of that head should be under your 15 kg threshold.
                            Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

So, it will be like getting a preamp with solid state poweramp built in. If I get a preamp like that, will I be able to just plug it in my stereo system and sound fine? (provided that the preamp would have a speaker emulation circuit) Also, I've heard of the cooler rack units. Are they necessary?

Comment

Working...
                              X