Bogner XTC review..well kinda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bogner XTC review..well kinda

Kind of a hook I know but...regarding the Ecstasy I just got. I've been struggling with the amp a bit because while I can dial a really good tone, there seems to be a fizziness always present. I bought a 4x12 Bogner slant cab, (V30's), to go with the amp so I'm confident the cab can be taken out of the equation. I suspect this thing needs tubes because I was getting some real nasty humming from the amp (ch.3) even at low volumes so I replaced the PI preamp tube with a balanced one and a lot of that went away. I ordered a bias rite tool from Weber so I can check the bias and try a different set of tubes in it but it won't be here for another week. I called Bogner and they said to go A/B my amp with one at my local store which I'm going to do but also won't be able to do until next week. In the meantime I'm hoping you guys can dial in my settings on your amp and tell me what you hear. Basically it is very smooth but again there is like a fizziness to it which makes it less than smooth , [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] , at the same time. If the fizziness was gone it would be spot on Van Halen 1, nice and squishy sweet. If I turn down the gain and get rid of the boost the sweetness stays but the dynamics go away, sustain etc. Tim requested a review now that I’ve had the amp a bit but I think I’ve got a few issues to iron out before I can do it. Please share your thoughts and ideas. Would you term the Ecstasy as a flat out smooth creamy overdrive; the one I played with in a store sure was. My settings are as follows: Full Power, New, Presence B @ 2:30, Excursion M , Structure H, Gain Boost H , Pre EQ 1 , Treble 2:00 , Middle 9:30, Bass 1:15, Gain 2:30.............I want clarity, if I can acheive the clarity ...this is the perfect amp. [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Re: Bogner XTC review..well kinda

Well, they truly are awesome amps man. Good choice! And good luck with it!

Tubes can make quite a difference in these amps as they will reflect more of the character of a tube than lesser quality amps. You will be very surprised at how different tubes will sound very different in a high quality amp such as this.

Enjoy!

Comment

Hey bud. I would change out the tubes and bias it. PM me so I can give you my # and you can call me this weekend and we can figure out the problem.

Tim

Comment

I also noticed that when using the red channel, any gain setting above 5/10 is useless, as any effective gain is not raised, but a small buzz is introduced. This is not a tube issue IMHO, but just the gain character of the XTC.
        What you also might want to try is using a good EQ in combination with the amp, but not as much as a tone shaping tool (like extreme midscoops or some dumb thing like that) but for small frequency corrections. I use the TC 1128 for this purpose and this makes the XTC an unbeatable amp.
        The only thing I ever heard that comes close (in the head dept) is the ENGL special edition and savage SE.

Cheers,

Leon..

Comment

I would be inclined to try a different cab, too. V30s can be a bit fizzy.

Comment

Working...
          X