SD-1/metal zone/DD opinions & sugestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD-1/metal zone/DD opinions & sugestions

Ok here's the deal I'm running a MP-1 and Mesa 20/20 and am looking for more pronounced pinch harmonics and a little hotter signal. The MP-1 does a excellent job of capturing the 80's sound but is limited in acheiving a higher gain more modern sound.
    The guy at GC keeps trying to steer me into a metal zone but from what I have heard here (and yes I did do the search) most of you don't sugest it.
    Do you think the Boss super overdrive will give me what I'm after or even get me close? Most of the time I'm using my SL2H with stock pickups.Thanks guys all input is appreciated

Re: SD-1/metal zone/DD opinions & sugestions

The Metal Zone kicks major ass but it will totally change your tone. I would suggest a DOD YJM308 or a DOD 250. Both are designed for tube amps but both will also make everything hotter and really enhance everything. Bass, treble and harmonics. They also don't intrude on your tone. I have heard alot of players are using the Boss DS-1 too.

Comment

Isn't the DS1 a distortion unit?

Comment

I would agree to stay away from the metal zone,although you can coax some decent sounds with an eq it will always have that tinny,digital characteristic.I would definitely try some new pups,because this can be a pain I suggest using as many of your friends guitars with your setup.This will give you an idea of what you are looking for without having to swap.A good equalizer and an overdrive I think are key.Try the eq in your effects loop for a more modern tone,you need to experiment with different settings.Also you could add another preamp,although I know it gets costly you do have a wider range of tones.I am in a similiar situation,I think I am ditching my rack gear and going for a Powerball and a good eq and effects unit and that's it.Good luck!

Comment

Just to give you some ideas. Old Rat ProCo or a MXR Microamp..which is basically a boost for all across the spectrum like the DOD. Both are variable to the amount of signal but the Rat has a tone and gain as well as the Vol. The MXR is just a gain knob for the amount of boost..it just drives the signal to however hot you want to go. The older MXR do not have an LED..which can be useful as sometimes the gain knob gets bumped down and you don't know if it's on quite for sure. The ProCo from the 80's is a cool pedal if you turn the work with it by turning distortion down and use it more for a Vol boost and filter.

I use a Vox Valvetone with my MP-1 but sometimes switch to the other two I mentioned.

[ June 02, 2004, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

"Metal" pedals are a joke. Get a good overdrive and use it as a boost... they're made to be used into an already distorted amp.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Agree. Don't use distortion pedals. Use the amp gain as your natural distortion. If you lack gain, overdrive it.

Comment

I made a typo... I meant SD-1.
                I have an original Proco Rat and it is a great pedal. I would suggest trying one. Very, very tweakable.

Comment

I'm going to sell my Line6 Pod2.0 in a few days, and i'm planning what to get for replacement...
                  i am thinking of simple setup (not racks or multieffectors) like a distortion pedal or somekind of boost for the natural amp distortion.

the amp i'm using is a crappy Crate 15w....
                  any suggestions what i should get? my budget is like $400 USD..i know it isnt much but i want to change some gear

Comment

I'll just throw out that I like the Metal Zone. Yeah it sounds digital but that pedal was built for high gain and pinch harmonics. It may take a little tweaking but I've had positive results. It has lots of tweakability and remember you don't have to use all the gain if you don't need it. If you buy used and don't like it you can sell it and not lose anything. Maybe even try out a friends. Good luck getting your sound no matter what you decide.

Comment

Outlander, you might want to check into the Time Machine Boost rated in GP not to long ago.
                      Legendary Tones website Advise you check out the all the clips if interested. Seems pretty versatile, somewhat pricey, but not any moreso than some of the other high end stuff coming out.

xjimmyleungx: Well, if you have/had a POD 2.0 and a Crate 15 watt..and if you do not want a rackmount or 'multieffect'.

Have you given any thought to replacing them both with a modeling amp like a Tech 21 or a Behringer?

Concerning a floor mount distortion; try doing a search here under this section for distortion pedal... see what you come up with.

If you subscribe to Guitar Player or almost any major guitar mag.. spend some time going over the product reviews and picking what you think might best suit your application and budget. If you don't sub to a mag, most libraries carry at least one major guitar magazine or there's other sites online like guitargeek.com, legendarytones.com,

25 years ago, we had way fewer toy makers; Electro Harmonix, MXR, Ibanez was just coming about. It was Big Muff, Distortion +, TS-808 etc. Now you have a ton of selections to choose from.

As mentioned in other areas on this board, the Fulltone FullDrive 2 is a well touted distortion pedal. The Radial Tonebone is a new well rated 12ax7 driven distortion pedal. Catalinbread, Klon, etc..

Sometimes it does not take a load of money to find what you want that fits your need. Boutique vs mainstream, tubed vs no tube. Some effects, the tube doesn't heat up enough to be of any significant effect other than to say "it's tube driven" because it really doesn't do anything other than light up. I think the Akai Shred O Matic is like this.

A lot of guys use a Boss SD-1, TS-2, DS-1 and it suits their needs & there are truckloads more of pedals out there that someone just doesn't use anymore or a new product line that has just come up or come and gone. Marshall made some interesting ones. Nobles has a new product line that looks interesting. Guyatone has some cool products. Voodoo Labs, Zoom, DOD, Digitech, Hughes Kettner, Maxon, Carl Martin, Tube Works, Chandler, Pro Co, Vox. The list goes on and on with even more obscure boutique or no longer produced.

Comment

I'm in the same boat. I don't really like the distortion in my Crate halfstack, so I bought a Turbo Tube Screamer, hoping it would overdrive the amp. But what I found was that it doesn't really have the desired effect on solid state amps. It changed my sound, but didn't give me that metal drive I'm looking for. Several people have recommended Marshall's Jackhammer pedal, which seems to have high user reviews. So I may try to find one this weekend.

Comment

Thanks every one for the great responses, between this thread and a couple of similar threads here in this category there is a wealth of info [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Rob9874..I think most of the overdrivers are designed to work most efficiently with tube amps.Some one correct me if I'm wrong.

Since I can get the Boss SD-1 from our local GC at around $45.00 I think I'll start there. If I don't like it I can return it for cash or continue up the ladder of selections and prices.
                          Thanks again everyone I love this place [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks billywade and CHARVELGUY x1000!! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                            now i'm going to read your post again and do some research in yahoo.
                            hope i can find something ^^
                            thanks alot~~ [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

OK, for an overdrive I use my TS-9 tubescreamer in front of an MP1. If I had $400 to spend on a multi-effects, I'd try out the BOSS VF-1. They are discontiuned, but they pop up on eBay cheap. That is the effects unit Diego gets his guitar tone from for Disgorge.

Comment

Working...
                              X