SD-1/metal zone/DD opinions & sugestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SD-1/metal zone/DD opinions & sugestions

i'm a big fan of the hughes and kettner warp drive.
    it does a good modern tone with alot of low end frenquency.
    if you are running a half stack, you can turn the warp up and the bass is incredible.
    it's a one trick pony, but a great sounding pedal for about $70.

Comment

Have you tried a Boss OD-1? They're not made anymore but I think they have a slightly better tone than the SD-1. There alway seems to be quite a few of them on eBay. The OD-1 is my favorite OD to date! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

MSG does the OD-1 have more bass or treble or what?
        Can you be more specific please.

Comment

Just a little follow up....
          I picked up a sd-1 at GC last weekend and it does pretty much what I was after. It dirties up the clean tone on my Strat just right for Stevie Ray stuff and makes the Jackson sing or scream whichever is needed......Thanx Guys [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

True story. I had used my DOD Death Metal pedal very succesfully with a Carvin X-60 tube 1x12 amp and a Peavey Ultra 2x12 Tube amp. It did very well for the distortion and crunch and grind. So for a fun test I put it in front of my VHT Pittbull CLX-100 2x12 combo which already has extreme everything going for it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Guess, what it did hardly anything, if anything it ruined the tone .So the bottom line is when useing an amp with good distortion anyway, get the Overdrive pedal so you don`t ruin your tone.But if you have amps with low to moderate distortion, I think a good distortion pedal is a good thing. Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by OUTLANDER:
              MSG does the OD-1 have more bass or treble or what?
              Can you be more specific please.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Outlander,
              It actually depends on which version of the OD-1 you're talking about, most people don't know that there are at least three versions(that I know of) that were made of the OD-1.
              The first version had the metal screw to access the battery with a momentary LED and a long style RCA IC chip and had the smoothest sounding overdrive of all the OD-1's but has less low end than the later models.
              The second, had the metal screw, a nomal LED and a regular size NEC4558 chip.
              The third had the black plastic screw to access the battery and the famous JRC4558 chip.
              I personally prefer the oldest version of the OD-1 as my main overdrive but the later versions sound great also.
              The latest version of the OD-1(and the most afforible) has much fuller mids than the SD-1 but does lack the highs that the SD-1 has due to the fact of the missing tone circuit.
              Overall it's thicker and fuller in tone than the SD-1.
              I've just recently in the past two months picked up two later version OD-1's at local music stores for about $40. a piece, so they're still out there for a good price but there's always eBay.
              Hope this helps some! [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X