Ditch all for a Powerball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ditch all for a Powerball?

I am sort of tired of chasing so many tones.I looked around at all the gear I had and was literally tripping on stuff.I got the rack fever for a while and now I realize I just want a simple setup.I think I am just going to sell all my rack stuff except for the Intellifex and go for an Engl Powerball,a Bogner 2X12 and a few key pedals.My problem was always letting go of gear because I feel like I might need it again,but I had it.I just want a multi-channel amp with some ass kicking tone and some basic effects.Anyone else have this problem and any opinions on this setup would be appreciated.Thanks.

Re: Ditch all for a Powerball?

Well Kev,
    I have that very setup. A PB through a Bogner 2X12. I also have an airbrake for attenuation when needed, a chorus, delay and flanger pedals. I use pedals sparingly.

I have to say that the tone and overall feel is crushing and agressive. Yet the PB has a very nice clean channel. You might say that it IS the rig.

But being the gear whore that I am, I find myself playing occasionally through a Road King via Mesa Recto 2X12 and same fx complement.

For starters, the PB does not have reverb and sometimes I need my 'verb, in addittion the RK gives me diffrent power tube combinations. Sometimes I feel like 6L6's and sometimes I feel like EL-34's. Sometimes I like a solid state rectifier and sometimes I like the feel of a tube rectifier. Call me crazy, I prefer to call myself picky.

In all honesty, I don't believe there is a perfect rig. You may choose one that checks the most of your requirements within your music vein.
    If you have the means or have a knack for gear hunting, dealing and wheeling that you will be like moi.

I like the variety.

Joe
    Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Yeah Joe,I know that one rig can't satisfy all my tonal needs,but I do know I'm sick of excessive cables,pedals,and dialing in all these different tones.I really feel a good amp,cab,eq,fx unit can give 99% of what you need.A Marshall is a Marshall,a mesa a mesa,and so on.I just want to stop hunting and spending time with all this gear,and master one setup to the best of it's possibilities.One question:How well does the airbrake perform in your opinion?I have seen some heated debates about that.Thanks.

Comment

The Airbrake is working great for me. Maybe it's my ears and years of punishment but I cannot detect appreciable tone degradation. My harmonics are there and all nuances I care about.

I know what you are saying; a Mesa is a Mesa, a Marshall is a Marshall. But guess what an Engl is an Engl and a Soldano is a Soldano.
        You've got to narrow the field and decide what is it that YOU wan to sound like.

Excuse me here, but have you experimented with a Vetta or Vetta II?
        Yeah yeah yeah, it is SS but they do give you a LOT of tonalities and with that many effects available, I'll bet you nobody is going to know what kind of an amp you are playing anyway.
        Don't let the amp snobs get to you.
        Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

So what are you ditching to go this direction. Not looking to buy anything, just curious of what the tradeoff is going to be.

Comment

I have a bunch of preamps,Kasha Rockmod I and II,ADA Mp-1 with controller,Triaxis which I just sold,Furman PQ-3,and some other low level stuff.I just need to sit back and think this out.I realize now it is just the time hunting for gear and "that" tone that is bothering me.I just want to spend more time playing than fiddling around with gear.Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
            X