Clips of boost and 2 modded SD1 pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clips of boost and 2 modded SD1 pedals

Ok, be kind regarding the playing - this is all one take stuff. Here's the gear in common:

2xEL84 matchless spitfire based amp with several mods
    4x12 Peavey VTM cab w/Celestion 85 watt speakers
    Peavey Wolfgang Special USA flametop, stock neck pickup
    SM-57 into Behringer cheap-ass ultragain pro mic preamp, into audigy II soundcard, a tiny bit of reverb applied and mixed in cool edit pro 2.

http://members.cox.net/vhpete/cleantoboost.mp3
    Clip #1 is the red boost pedal, built from Jack Orman's schematics. The Fulltone fatboost is one of these with a input gain and a treble cut control, like a tone control on a guitar. Ugh.
    :00-:15 I turned down the neck pickup on the wolf
    :15-:30 full blast on the neck pickup into the amp
    :31-end boost pedal 3/4 of the way up, tormenting the amp

http://members.cox.net/vhpete/TS808mod.mp3
    This is an old Japanese SD1 I recently bought. Beat to shit, but sounds great. Previous owner Model6lover on the board modded it to TS808 specs. Nice job, dude! I love this thing. I bought it because I wanted a stock one to compare my SD-1 I modded below to. DOH! Oh well. It's all pedal into the amp, level was maxed, gain at 1/2, tone at 1/2.

http://members.cox.net/vhpete/SD1Keeleymod.mp3
    This is the SD1 I modded, mostly with info provided from Robert Keeley on some websites. Most of what I did was replace some caps with film caps (higher fidelity) and change a few values so I didn't lose all the low end with the pedal. I also put a small capacitor across the clipping diodes to take some of the real harsh high end off the pedal. Same settings as the TS808 above.

Damn, now I need a stock SD-1 for comparison purposes. This pedal modding is kinda addictive, and a hell of a lot cheaper than building amps [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Re: Clips of boost and 2 modded SD1 pedals

I like the Red Boost pedal best. It has the perfect amount of "fuzzyness" without actually being creamy fuzz. Maybe I should call it edgy cream. Very natural and clear sounding. The second clip was also nice sounding. Very warm.

Comment

9v powered bump

Comment

I like the TS 808 mod as it has more "edge". But at the same time, i don't reckon i can stand listening to it for too long due to the "edge".

Therefore, if i'm listening to a longer clip, i'll pick Keeley mod.

My two cents
        Fong

Comment

That sounds sweet dude! I think I may need to get one of those from you. I'll shoot you an email.
          We must!
          We must!
          We must increase the bust!
          The bigger the better!
          The tighter the sweater!
          The boys are counting on us!

Comment

That sounds great! Pete, you are a fantastic player. I'd love to hear some more of your shred stuff if you have it.

Comment

Damn Pete, I never could get that pedal to sound like that. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I guess my playing just sucks. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I've got a ts808 clone i built from scratch also, that actually sounds better than the SD-1.

Comment

Originally posted by MODEL6LOVER:
                Damn Pete, I never could get that pedal to sound like that. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I guess my playing just sucks. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I've got a ts808 clone i built from scratch also, that actually sounds better than the SD-1.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Eh, it was the combination of the pedal and the amp I built, I just turned it on and stood back. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

BTW, if your 808 clone sounds better than that SD-1 you sold me, than WOW. : ) That pedal sounds awesome. Plus it has mojo in spades. The one I modded with the Keeley stuff is too clean and prissy looking, it needs some paint chips and fade.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                X