VHT/Peavey/ENGL power amps. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VHT/Peavey/ENGL power amps. . .

since it has the KT88 tubes, it isn't that suitable for clean stuff I think.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not true, the 2150 makes every tone sound awesome, whether it's high gain or ultra clean, it makes no difference, it's the best in any field.

The 2/90/2 is nice, but nothing special to my ears.

Leon..

Comment

damn, I had the chance to buy a 2/90/2 second handed but I thought it'd be overkill...
      Does it harm the amp/tubes if you play it at half power mainly? For practicing at home I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Iced Dragon:
        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Soloist1:
        Your tubes will last longer at lower volumes actually. The harder you push the tubes at volume the shorter their life span. And for the record the rare VHT 2100 Classic is the best power amp ever produced.

][ [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] )#
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, I know, but there's a switch or so you can make it work on 60 W, A/B class or so?
        Or is it the same like dialing in low volumes?
        </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If I'm correct, and I believe I am, the half power switch just removes half the tubes from each stereo channel. So one tube would wear down quicker than the other. As for the A/B or A type question I believe that the VHT power amps also have a switch to let you select what type. I know some of them did at least. I don't recall if the 2/90/2 does. But in that case an A types tubes would wear evenly and an A/B types tubes don't. One tube would be worn down quicker than the rest.

Leon I don't live in the netherlands. So the challange is off. I also don't have the privilege of owning a 2100 either. That's way more amp than I need for my current playing situation. If things changed I would love to snag one though. And besides the difference in those two poweramps is dependent on the tone one is looking for. The quality between the two is equal. I like that power tube compressed tone so the 2100 is it for me. If your looking for a clear crisp tone the 2150 is definitely it though. So I'll give you that.
        We must!
        We must!
        We must increase the bust!
        The bigger the better!
        The tighter the sweater!
        The boys are counting on us!

Comment

actually what class a/b and class A do is keep the tubes eiter passive or active. thi smeaning that in class A, th etubes are always hot, and ready to go at anytime. CLass A/B keeps them in a passive mode, not off, but not fully on either.

http://www.korgnorthwest.com/power_amplifier_design.htm

read that site, they explain it better than i do.

Comment

Originally posted by Soloist1:

Leon I don't live in the netherlands. So the challange is off. I also don't have the privilege of owning a 2100 either. That's way more amp than I need for my current playing situation. If things changed I would love to snag one though. And besides the difference in those two poweramps is dependent on the tone one is looking for. The quality between the two is equal. I like that power tube compressed tone so the 2100 is it for me. If your looking for a clear crisp tone the 2150 is definitely it though. So I'll give you that.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">To bad you don't live near, that could have been a cool amp-testing day!!
            And I agree completely with your analysis of the 2150 and the 2100 ;-)

Leon..

Comment

Isn't the 2100 an EL34 amp? I worship my 2150 and really don't like EL34 amps. So, I guess I'd "biased" (pardon the pun).

But, the VHT EL34 amp I've heard are really awesome and are certainly about as good as it gets in that type of tube amp.

Aside from sounding awesome, the VHT 2150 is extremely overbuilt, sorta like what a properly built nuclear should be. Major overkill.

Sadly, I don't believe the new VHT stuff is quite "that" well built now. Still, even the new VHTs are my fav power amps nonetheless.

Comment

Working...
              X