Mesa Studio 22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Studio 22

Well, my Soldano Astroverb head is on the way and I just bought another Mesa Studio 22.Here is the reason... I went back to a post I made stating that I wasn't that impressed with the Studio 22 or the 22+ with EQ that I had years ago and decided to dig up some old recordings I made with them. THEN.... I listened back to the recordings I made using a Les Paul and the Studio 22 without the EQ. I instantly started looking for one and lucky for me the timing was right and I bought one from Paddock (Alex). No question, total tone. Maybe the best rhythm tone I have ever recorded. I have absolutely no need for a Mesa Studio 22 but I have to own one. I can't survive without being able to get that tone if I need it. No other amp I have can get it. I think that I might have more amps than guitars now.

Re: Mesa Studio 22

I know you will love it John ! Congrats!

Comment

Do the ones with eq sound the same with that eq switched out as the non-eq ones? If so, then I have NO idea how you are getting a good sound out of them. I'm sure you are, but I've had three of these over the years and have one now as my only amp (a combo along with the matching 1x12 cab all loaded with Celestion Greenbacks) and I can't live without the eq.
      I'm also getting the best guitar sound I've had in my life, and you guys know what kind of gear I'm used to!

Comment

That is the strange thing Chuck. I sold my original Studio 22 because I really hated the tone. It sounded cheap to me. The Studio 22 I had with the EQ was much more metal sounding. Listening back to it however is a different story. Every single person who hears my old recorded material back in the late 80's early 90's all comment on the songs that I used the Studio 22 for the rhythm tracks. The Mesa is what I used straight up. No outboard effect. Just the Studio 22 cranked and a Shure SM57 placed off axis.

Comment

Well, I've heard from many who know more than I that these amps "go to tape" really well, and I've never recorded with any of mine (why I do not know!). Gotaa try that ASAP!

Comment

Mine was very easy to record, but I used a 4x12 cab - the combo just didn't get enough thump for my taste. GREAT amp, if I could find a head I'd jump on it in a second. I've seen a few, but they are rare as hell.

Pete

Comment

and with the above statement coming from Pete, that says alot for a small low wattage tube amp.

Comment

i've got the .50 cal (el84) and i love it. its the same amp but with 2 more tubes. i love it both with and without the eq on, infact i think i use it more with the eq turned off.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Really it is good? I am with chuck though on my Mark IV the sound was really only good with theEQ to me.... Granted it wasn't bad without it but really as a good tone only good with the EQ

Was the Studio 22 what Cobain used?
                  I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                  So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

gotta love those studio 22's! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X