Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple amp/effect questions

Allright, ive got a few questions.

1)How exactly is reverb made inside an amp/how does a reverb tank work?

2)what classifies a "Class A" amp and a "class a/b" amp? And, i dont think ive ever seen them, but are there "class b" amps?

3)And lastly, I've pretty much got my mind set on getting a boss delay unit. But I'm not quite sure exactly which one to get, since theres such a big selection. Any suggestions from what you guys use...and what styles do you play (does that make a difference in selecting a good delay? Thanks guys. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: A couple amp/effect questions

I will answer the delay question. Boss DD-3. It does everything a delay pedal should do and it is built like a tank.

Comment

Oh, thought up something else..Sorry for all the questions, but didnt wanna make a bunch of new topics. I was looking at john petrucci's website at his live rig from the "Six Degrees of inner turbulence" album. He uses mesa Mark II C+ heads. How does he get such a heavy sound out of them? Can they be considered a metal amp, or more of a blues thing? Also, I know too that he has seperate effects processors and all that which also contribute to his sound. But on its own, how heavy is the mark 2 C+?

http://www.johnpetrucci.com/equipment_6degrees.html

Comment

It gets a little complicated. Boiled down: A class "A" amp is about 20% efficient but amplification is high and distortion is low. They are used in high quality recording and reproducing systems, Class "AB" falls between "A" and "B" amps. Current flow characteristics allow for greater power than an "A" with less distortion than a "B". Efficiency is between 40 to 75%. Class "B" amps are biased near cut-off. For guitar amps, I have only heard of "A" and "AB" being used. Looks like it's a matter for you, the listener and player, to determine which is best suited for your needs. This info came from Howard Tremaine's book "Audio Cyclopedia." If you are serious about tubes and curcuits and electronics work, this book is a must.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
        X