ANOTHER trade - Opinions please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANOTHER trade - Opinions please...

Hey guys. A friend of mine trades me a new Behringer V-Amp Pro, a Hefler 600w PRO1200 power amp and an Odyssey 4-space rack case for my 5150. Everything is in awesome condition. My 5150 is a little fucked up. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Re: ANOTHER trade - Opinions please...

I'd pass.

Comment

No way man! The 5150 is the Death Metal amp that all others are judged by!

Comment

I would pass too. The 5150 is killer.

Comment

The thing is.....My 5150 is fucked up cosmetically and functionally. Has dents all over the place, the power up light blinks, the volume pots are dirty and it doesn't sound too good....

Comment

The stuff he is offering just isn't worth it. The power amp is marginal at best, you could do better on the processor and road cases are a dime a dozen.

Comment

Who cares what it looks like... As for the other stuff it sounds like a trip to a qualified tech would get it going and sounding like a 5150 should. I would not do the deal unless there is cash coming your way and you really like the sound of the stuff you are getting.

Now to get it sounding good after it is fixed up...

New power tubes(I suggest svetlanna 6l6gc's) and chinese 12ax7a preamp tubes. I would run a Boss ge-7 in the loop (Scoop the mids) with a Boss ns-2 gate pedal. Short cables. Leave them on all the time. Tape them to the top of your head so this way they stay put. I did that with my 5150 and it was cheap and sounded pretty damn good!

Now here is another story....I have had 2 of these heads.
              The one 5150 head I had sounded really good. (Stukanj owns it now) I sold it but have always regretted not keeping it. The other one I bought and sold very quickly and did not really play it but to make a long story short, It did not sound nearly as nice as the first one. Needed to be biased? new tubes? A lemon? Who knows?

My point... What is my point???? Oh yeah... I remember now! Maybe yours sounds like the 2nd one I had. I guess it is possible that some don't sound as good as others.

Anyway.... Rant over!

[ June 06, 2004, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Firebird V ]

Comment

FirebirdV, lay off the coffee my man!

New tubes, clean the pots, have a bias pot installed and you'll be smokin that trade gear.

Comment

i wouldnt do it. V-amp pro is in no way comparable to a 5150. passssssssss

Comment

I'd pass also. As others have said the power amp is marginal and the V-Amp Pro, while a decent unit is nothing to write home about. Decent clean tones and fairly nice effects but I can't get a distorted tone out of it that I'm happy with.
                    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I would pass on this. V-Amps are great for doing home recordings like that but live performances don't really work well with 'em. There also is a delay in the channel switching with the V-Amp line that I've experienced first hand and it is not fun at all. You shouldn't have to sit there and think about switching tones in advance and have a period of empty space. Just shell out ~$100 for a used V-Amp (or V-Amp Pro) and just use it for at home jamming or whatever. The 5150 rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
                        FirebirdV, lay off the coffee my man!

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                        X