Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of effects should I include in my board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of effects should I include in my board?

Hi folks:

I want to go into pedals for effects and would like to know your suggestions on what kind of pedals I should include in my board. I play mainly metal and 80's hard rock music. My amp is a Peavey Triple XXX modded by Voodoo Amps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: What type of effects should I include in my board?

Id definitely get a talk box (if thats what they're called). To get that beautiful RIchie Sambora type sound that was common in 80's style stuff. (Not sure if you'd classify Bon Jovi as "hard Rock though) [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I would go for at least a chorus pedal (preferrably in the effects loop where time-based effects sound a little better), but some people use it in front with good results... mainly for clean sounds, but it does sound cool with distortion to give you more of a doubling effect if you desire that. A wah-wah pedal is always a good bet, too, in front of the amp. Not sure what sound or other effects you're really looking for, though.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I thought about adding the following pedals:

Chorus
        OD - For solo boost
        Delay
        Flanger

Should I also add a reverb pedal? What about a compressor?

Comment

If your amp already has reverb, I wouldn't add another, personally. A compressor will even out your sound and keep everything at a minimum level, mostly used for clean sounds.

Gain-based effects like wah, od/distortion pedals should be used in front of the amp. Time-based effects like chorus, delay, phaser, flanger are better used in the loop for the best results... although, like I said, in front is also fine, and a lot of players used to do that before there were loops on amps, some still do. You'll have to look around and test some out to decide what effect and brand of effect sounds best to you and in which order you prefer them in. Hope that helps.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Chorus
            MXR Phase 90
            Delay

Comment

Chorus
              Delay
              Flanger
              Wah pedal with true bypass
              Reverb (if your amp doesn't have it)

Comment

I am using
                A Tuning pedal (fender), a Peavey Stereo Effects Pedal (DEP16)...it's reverb, chorus, flanger and delay pedal. and it's a good one. A Morley Bad Horsie wah, and a Rocktron HUSH...it works for me...great set up.

Comment

Sorry to get off topic, but what modification was done to your Triple XXX?

Comment

Trace from Voodoo Amps took out some of the compression and harshness of the crunch and ultra channels, making the distortion more defnined and articulated. You cannot hide your bad technique or mistakes anymore. He also made the clean channel more defined or "full". Now you can hear all notes being played. The amp still has a lot of distortion, but you can play it at bedroom levels and it gives you a "cranked" feel. Trace made the amp sound incredible. Hope this helps.

Comment

noise gate.

Comment

I love my Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer. I stomp on it, and then next thing I know I've been fooling around for 15 minutes without noticing!!

Comment

I think these might work for you:

1) MXR Phase 90 - a classic and the re-issue is inexpensive and works great.

2) Voodoo Labs Analog Chorus - sounds great with distortion and gets some of the classic Rush clean and overdriven tones from "Permanent Waves" and "Moving Pictures".

3) T.C. Electronics SC/F - a great chorus unit. Eric Johnson loves these for clean tones. Also the units works well with acoustic instruments, too. But for rock music, it's a great clean-tone chorus, very hi-fi. Think "1987"-era Whitesnake as opposed to the previous Rush examples.

4) A delay unit of some sort. Lots of options. I like two units very much - the Maxon AD-80 and the Hughes & Kettner Replex. The AD-80 is really good for a general-purpose rock-n-roll delay. The Replex is expensive but it does reverb and multi-head delays. And it also can be used as a boost to overdrive your amp without necessarily adding any delay or reverb.

Rock on! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                          Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Man that amp should have enough gain for solos without using a pedal to boost it. A delay would be good for throwing on during clean parts and solo parts, so would a chorus. I wouldn't bother with a flanger. A tuner pedal is a must. And in the accessories department at Guitar Center, the best pedal we carry is this one: -it's for practice.

Comment

Working...
                            X