Single rectifier oppinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single rectifier oppinions

Right now im playing a crate BV120H through a marshall 1960 cab. My guitar is a dk-1 with dimarzio super distortion and paf pro. I play shred metal, and also death/black stuff. Ive been feeling more unsatisfied with this amp lately. I found a few good deals, some unusually cheap ones, on some dual recto's on ebay, but was outbid, since my limit is around 1000 dollars. Ive been thinking of saying "fuck it" and going for a single recto 50 watt, but i have fears of it not being able to shine in a band situation. Ive heard that they get quite loud, but how does it sound when its this loud? Does it get hefty bottom end? does it articulate well for leads like sweeps and such? Id play with another guitarist who has a dual rectifier...would the dual completely outdo the single, does it have a fighting chance? Ive done a lot of research on the net, at stores, and here on the forum, but i still feel on the fence about this one. Can you guys give me any suggestions? Ive also been thinking about the dsl, but havent heard many good things about that one.

Re: Single rectifier oppinions

I've always been curious as to the tonal difference between the dual and the single.

Comment

I would suggest trying a Triple X. If you get a Mesa you should get an early 2 channel Dual Rectifier. Also, try a 5150.

Comment

When i hear "5150" i think of van halen. And when i think of van halen, i think of hair metal. Is this a "girly" sounding amp?..Dont mean to offend anyone [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

oh yea, and whats the diff between the 5150 and the 5150 II?

Comment

The 5150 is by no means a "girly" amp [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] . Balls out Crunch and Distortion up the ass. This amp will take care of your black/death metal urges for sure. You can score one pretty cheap as well. I was able to score my Peavey 5150 Block Letter head w/Matching 5150 cab for $600 bucks. With the rest of your cash, u can get your self a nice little rack for effects and you have yourself a pretty sweet setup...or keep it simple and run a eq in the fx loop and a wah for leads and your good to go.

You should PM JerryP here at JCF. He knows alot more about the 5150 then I do [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Sounds good. What do you guys think of a marshall jmp-1 rack setup? Is a rack too much of a pain, or what? It seems like a really cool amp to me, but im not sure about it quite yet. Right now, these are the amps im considering

1)mesa single recto (perhaps a rectoverb)
              2)mesa dual recto (tremoverb) if i can find one cheap, which i probably wont
              3)5150
              4)Marshall jmp-1 rack setup
              5)Marshall dsl 100

thoughts..oppinions..experience?

Comment

i play some black/melodic death metal alot, ive gota 5150. it doesnt get any better. get a nice noise gate to go along with it and your set.

Comment

The 5150 is THE swedish death metal amp.From In Flames to The Haunted.Just to give you the idea.

Comment

The Rectoverb is a fantastic amp. I recently picked up a Bogner XTC and I swear the Rectoverb in the vintage mode sounds similar to the Bogner red channel....chewy. It's not as sweet but similar still. If a Trans AM is a poor mans Corvette, the Rectoverb is a poor mans XTC PLUS its got some different sounds unatainable from the XTC. The vintage channel is one step away from the Modern mode which takes the distortion to a completely different level. The single is a suprisingly verstile amp....really nice clean and plexi..ish sounds can be had. I definately prefer my Rectoverb w/ JJ E34L's...great tube. My opinion is the Single Rec/Rectoverb is the best production ,relatively low cost amp on the market today. I once owned a Dual Rec. and it simply sounded harsh to me where the single is warm. I also have a DSL50 that screams in its own way...different animal. If I was in a band situation and we could in fact crank the amps...I would probably opt for a 100 watt amp for the thump factor...sorry 50 watt guys, the 50's are awesome but they lack the 100 thump.

Comment

Other amps in the same price range I have not played include: Engl Fireball, the 5150 that has been discussed, and I think the SLO 50 is like a $1200.00 amp...take my opinion and experience for what it's worth....good for what I've played although a bit un-thorough. If I was looking for a head for band use, I'd look for a Trem-o-Verb in good shape, I've heard they are closer to the sound of a Single Rec. with the added 100 watt girth...I think a nice conditioned one would probably cost anywhere from $900.00-$1200.00

[ June 10, 2004, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Tooling ]

Comment

i currently own a mesa single recto . it is a series one. the series one by far has a better tone ( not as nu metal soudning to me ). and it gets LOUD the toen i have set upf or it can give me anyhting from an iced earth to a dark throne soun. its a good amp.

Comment

Please don't go Playskool on me. Get a dual rec (with matching cab) and get the "tone bone". Schwing! If you are sweeping, it is big boy time.

Comment

5150 can get a bit noisy and hissy at high volume settings.

Single Recto is loud as hell.

Comment

Your saying that since the single recto is 50 watts...its childish, hence "Playskool" and that its better for sweeping?

Comment

Working...
                              X