Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good contact cleaner for amp/effects jacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good contact cleaner for amp/effects jacks?

The effects loop jacks on my Apogee 50 combo are crackling a bit, and probably could use a good cleaning. Any recommendations for cleaner?
    sigpic

Re: Good contact cleaner for amp/effects jacks?

GC Electronics Contact Cleaner or Tuner Renew. Radio Shack has good cleaner too.

Comment

first try a q-tip with a little alcohol on it-won't cost you a dime! THere is also something called the "conduc-tool" that cleans jacks and cable plugs and is supposed to work very well.

Comment

Originally posted by etaeniura:
        There is also something called the "conduc-tool" that cleans jacks and cable plugs and is supposed to work very well.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have the ConducTool and it works really well. It's really easy and you can clean your 1/4 inch cable too.

Nick

Comment

There's basicially two types of contact cleaner, one with a lube and one without. For tube sockets I use the one without. I usually pick it up at Home Depot. For pots and jacks I use Caig Calilube MCL. You can get it at Antique Electronics and a bunch of other places. The GC stuff isn't bad but it sprays out too fast and makes a huge mess. The Radio Shack stuff will work too.
          A Q-tip can leave fuzz and make things worse than they were before you started.
          That Conduc-tool only cleans the contact point for the cord. This is great for use on a cord or guitar output jack but useless on effects loop jacks. The loop jacks are switching jacks that have switches built into the jack. The switch contacts are what gets dirty, not the contact points that the cord makes contact with. The Q-tip and Conduc-tool won't touch this part of the switch.
          A quick shot of contact cleaner and then plug a cord in and out a few times is usually all it takes.
          Jerry
          FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Radio Shack has a "tuner spray" (contact/control cleaner)that works wonders.

Comment

Working...
            X