More speaker questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More speaker questions

QUESTION 1: I checked the specs between the Eminence MOD12 and the Eminence M12 and I see very little difference. The MOD12 is stock in many modeling amps and the M12 is what they claim to be very similar to a GB12 (Celestion Vintage 30).
    What are the important specs that I should be looking at. I want to try my MOD12's in a 2x12 cabinet with my Soldano Astroverb and although the website says they are designed for modeling amps, I can't see much of a difference in specs.

QUESTION 2:
    Can different speakers be mixed in a 4x12 cabinet? I have 4 4 ohm Peavey 25watt Peavey Scorpions and 2 4 ohm Altec Lansing 300watt white frames. Would I cause a problem if I ripped 2 of the Scorpions out of my bottom of my 4x12 cabinet and replaced them with the Altec Lansings?

QUESTION 3:
    My Altec Lansing speakers measure 6.5 ohms per the Altec Lansing website but when I measure them I get 4.6 ohms. It I paired one of them up to one of my Eminence MOD12's which measures 8.2 ohms in series I would get either 12.8 ohms or 14.7 ohms (if you use Altec Lansings figures.
    Would this combination work for a tube amp that requires a 16 ohm load?

Re: More speaker questions

Answer 1: I don't know. I can't see why modelling amps would require different speakers in the first place.

Answer 2: Mixing speakers, as long as the required load is the same, won't harm anything.

Answer 3: 14.7 would be fine, because as I understand it, measured impedance is usually a little lower anyway, but I'm not sure why you're getting 12.8. Have you checked the calibration of your meter?
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I am using a Fluke 12. I have tested it on known caps and resistors and it is dead nuts accurate. The Altec Lansings thing is really blowing my mind. The speakers are clearly marked 417-8c. They also are clearly marked 8 ohms. I talked to the guy I bought them from many years ago and he told me that they were never reconed and as far as he knew they are completely original and 8 ohms each. They certainly look orginal. He was using them with a solid state Randall RG100ES-SS so impedance wasn't that critical to him. When I measure them with my Fluke 12 meter they read a tiny bit over 4 ohms each. I just don't get it.

Comment

Take this for what it's worth (which probably isn't much) but here's my two cents on your questions.

1) I could see that a speaker for a modelling amp might be a flatter and/or wider response speaker whereas a speaker designed for a traditional amp might be voiced differently to bring out unique characteristics of that amp. After all, no one wants a full-range high-fidelty speaker setup to use with a blazing Marshall.

2) As long as the impedances match, I can't see why there would be a problem. Ohm's law still applies, after all. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

3) From reading some articles from Gerald Weber, it sounds like measuring speaker is techincally difficult - depending on what the input signal is can effect the impedance reading. Therefore, a speaker rated at "8 ohms" is nominally 8 ohms depending on a specific measurement condition. That said, I've read it in several places that tubes amps are generally more tolerant of impedance mismatches than solid staters.
        Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by John D.:
          That said, I've read it in several places that tubes amps are generally more tolerant of impedance mismatches than solid staters.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] That's very odd. I've heard exactly the opposite. From what I understand, if you underload a tube amp too severely, you will find yourself looking to replace a rather expensive output transformer.

Comment

I called Altec Lansing and spoke to their tech support guy. He has been there forever. He told me how to check the actual impedance of the speakers and it is a nightmare that I do not want to handle. It involves audio occilators, volume pots, 400hz 3 volt amplifiers. etc...
            He told me that when using a standard multimeter set to DC resistance:
            4 ohm speakers read just about 4 ohms
            8 ohm speakers read around 6.5 ohms
            16 ohm speakers read around 12.5-13.5 ohms
            Because my Altec Lansing speakers are measuring 4 ohms he guessed that they must have been reconed at one point and 4 ohm coils were used. He did confirm that they are very high end speakers and gave me a company called Great Planes Audio who specializes in working on Altec Lansing speakers if I want to return them to 8 ohms. He uses all original Altec Lansing parts.

Comment

It's widely known that 2 Greenback + 2 Vintage 30 are a grat sounding couple, so... Try out yours!(and let us konw)

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler:
                </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by John D.:
                That said, I've read it in several places that tubes amps are generally more tolerant of impedance mismatches than solid staters.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] That's very odd. I've heard exactly the opposite. From what I understand, if you underload a tube amp too severely, you will find yourself looking to replace a rather expensive output transformer. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I just did a quick search and found this link about mismatched output/speaker impedances and tube amps: link

Scroll down the left side to find "Match speakers to output impedance?". The short answer is that the tube amp will run less efficiently with a mismatched impedance, but isn't too likely to burn up an amp. That said, I don't think I'll try it personally. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't try it with either of my tube amps. I'm not a gambling man.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
                    I called Altec Lansing and spoke to their tech support guy. He has been there forever. He told me how to check the actual impedance of the speakers and it is a nightmare that I do not want to handle. It involves audio occilators, volume pots, 400hz 3 volt amplifiers. etc...
                    He told me that when using a standard multimeter set to DC resistance:
                    4 ohm speakers read just about 4 ohms
                    8 ohm speakers read around 6.5 ohms
                    16 ohm speakers read around 12.5-13.5 ohms
                    Because my Altec Lansing speakers are measuring 4 ohms he guessed that they must have been reconed at one point and 4 ohm coils were used. He did confirm that they are very high end speakers and gave me a company called Great Planes Audio who specializes in working on Altec Lansing speakers if I want to return them to 8 ohms. He uses all original Altec Lansing parts.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Measuring a speaker with an Ohm meter is actually measuring Resistance, not Impedance. A speakers Impedance is close to the same as it's resistance, so that is why a lot of people will measure it that way, but you are supposed to multiply the resistance of a speaker buy either 1.2 or 1.3 (I forget) to get it's Impedance.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                    X