HEAVY Engl E530 Preamp clip!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEAVY Engl E530 Preamp clip!!!

Damn, that sounds awesome... I have to try out one of these ENGL's in person. Every clip I hear of them sounds phenomenal.

Re: HEAVY Engl E530 Preamp clip!!!

Hey Derek looks like you got a ton more responses over at hc. I also have an engl 530 and it sounds really good. You ever slam the front end of it to see how far you can push it before it turns to noise?

Comment

Derek, thanks for the clip. Killer tone despite your setup! I'm using an E530 too and it's a fine preamp. Actually quite versatile.

If any of you are interested (can't remember if i posted this before) i replaced the stock tubes in my E530 to JJ's. You can read my whole review at Bob's site www.eurotubes.com - just do a search for "Henrik" on that page and you'll find it. Here's the paragraph about the E530:

"Now the preamp. ENGL E530 (1x Sovtek 12AX7WB, 1xENGL labeled ECC83). Changed both at the same time to JJ's (ECC83 S gain factor 110). Again, here the JJ's remove a bit of shrill from the highs but apart from that, no big change in the overall sound. A tad more gain noticed. I didn't expect big changes anyway from a preamp, but here comes a pleasant surprise. The E530 has a 'contour' switch in the lead channel which i haven't used much, because it adds to much fuzz in the mid range for my taste. It destroys distorted, fast palm muted runs with a noisy character and too much mud in the mid range. But with the two JJ's it's awesome! The messy fuzz is gone and the 'contour' switch now adds a perfect brutal in your face character to the tone, which i find very useful. Heavy overdriven solos now has more body and are projected with much more clarity in a full band mix. The notes are separated much better than with the stock tubes. That surprised me a lot! I haven't even yet explored the very versatile tone controls of the E530 with the new JJ's, but maybe there's more treasures to be found in this very good preamp!"

/Henrik
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

So Henrik you think if I just swap out for jj's I'll be in gain heaven? Also what poweramp are you using?

Comment

HEAVY Engl E530 Preamp clip!!!

This was my 1st attempt at recording the E530 and it very short. I didnt have a dedicated poweramp to use it with so I stuck it in the Return of the Screamer 50's FX loop, quickly tweaked a tone I thought sounded good in the room stuck my trusty old Sm57 and Md421 mic's up to my Uber Cab,double tracked it and while Seth was playing my USA BC Rich 7 String Beast I hit record. Check it out and let me know what you think.

http://www.rocksolidamps.com/MP3/E53...ring%20Mp3.mp3

Comment

P I K A, the E530 has tons of gain stock! [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Swapping the stock Sovtek's for JJ's or maybe a better tube like Mullard, you can alter the character a bit if you want. The Sovtek's are shrill sounding (typically) so that's why i changed them. I did NOT need more gain. Not with the power amp i'm using (Peavey Classic 50/50).

In fact, i just installed a DiMarzio YJM single coil pickup in my scalloped strat and even with that pickup, the E530 can scream. The YJM pup has an output of 93mV!. Any preamp that can boost this kind of low signal is HOT!

/Henrik
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Hell YA!! Killer clip. All Engl clips that I've heard sounds awesome no doubt about it. I'm saving up right now for an ENGL Powerball [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] .I sold off all of my Marshall crap except my cabs,to have the BRUTAL tone of the almighty Powerball,and Derek you will be getting a call from me real soon.
              Gear
              '88 Charvel Model 6
              '90 Charvel 650 Custom
              '92 Jackson Dinky Reverse Professional
              '93 Jackson USA Randy Rhoads PCS #23
              '07 Jackson DKMG Mutt

Comment

Originally posted by Inearthed:
                Damn, that sounds awesome... I have to try out one of these ENGL's in person. Every clip I hear of them sounds phenomenal.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for checking it out Inearthed.I also have a couple of clean clip's that I will be posting of the E530 as well. I had a friend bring over a Mesa 2/90 and even though I'm not a clean type of connoisseur I think they sound awesome!!!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by P I K A:
                  Hey Derek looks like you got a ton more responses over at hc. I also have an engl 530 and it sounds really good. You ever slam the front end of it to see how far you can push it before it turns to noise?
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for checking it out PIKA!!! I have really never even experimented using a boost/overdrive in any of my Engl's. They sound awesome enough without it. I do have a friend/customer of mine that is a great player and he uses a boost of some sort in front of his Powerball and raves about it.

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1:
                    Derek, thanks for the clip. Killer tone despite your setup! I'm using an E530 too and it's a fine preamp. Actually quite versatile.

If any of you are interested (can't remember if i posted this before) i replaced the stock tubes in my E530 to JJ's. You can read my whole review at Bob's site www.eurotubes.com - just do a search for "Henrik" on that page and you'll find it. Here's the paragraph about the E530:

"Now the preamp. ENGL E530 (1x Sovtek 12AX7WB, 1xENGL labeled ECC83). Changed both at the same time to JJ's (ECC83 S gain factor 110). Again, here the JJ's remove a bit of shrill from the highs but apart from that, no big change in the overall sound. A tad more gain noticed. I didn't expect big changes anyway from a preamp, but here comes a pleasant surprise. The E530 has a 'contour' switch in the lead channel which i haven't used much, because it adds to much fuzz in the mid range for my taste. It destroys distorted, fast palm muted runs with a noisy character and too much mud in the mid range. But with the two JJ's it's awesome! The messy fuzz is gone and the 'contour' switch now adds a perfect brutal in your face character to the tone, which i find very useful. Heavy overdriven solos now has more body and are projected with much more clarity in a full band mix. The notes are separated much better than with the stock tubes. That surprised me a lot! I haven't even yet explored the very versatile tone controls of the E530 with the new JJ's, but maybe there's more treasures to be found in this very good preamp!"

/Henrik
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for checking it out Henrik!! That's sound's like some really good advice too. If I had one of my own I would definitely experiment around with some of your recomendations.

Derek

Comment

Working...
                    X