Tube question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube question

Allright, i allready looked through the tube maintenance topics here on the board, but im still left with a question. Ive got a mesa boogie dual rec coming my way in a few days, and if the tubes arent sounding that great, im going to have to replace them. The dual rec has got four 6l6's (or el34, whichever you prefer, mine will have the 6l6's) in the power section. If they need to be replaced, can i just find four separate new tubes? Would i have to get a matched quad? Could i combine two matched pairs? Is matching necessary at all? What do the letters after the tubes mean, like 6l6cb, 6l6ge, 6l6r...etc etc, and can they be combined? Any tips for targeting a bad tube too? Thanks guys.

Re: Tube question

MESA uses a color code grading system that allows you to replace the power tubes without rebiasing the amp, "if" you get tubes that are matched to the grade of what is sposed to be in your amp.

Luckily as well, you can call the tubestore.com and give them the color code from the tubes in the MESA amp, and they can match it for you with a matched quartet of the proper value.

Yes, you want a mtched set, and a set matched to that amp. Other power amps, you just get a matched set, and have the amp biased to those tubes.

I HIGHLY recomend SED Svetlana tubes. They are by far my favorite, with Tesla running behind a bit. Don't buy the grrove tubes or teh MESA tubes, they are merely repackaged tubes that are extremely overpriced.

Comment

Where can i have my amp biased, could i just take that to an electronics technician, or a guitar store, or what? How much does biasing usually cost? If i go your tube-store route with the matching system, i should have to do it less often, since i know the ratings of the tubes im putting in there, correct?

Comment

With a MESA, you don't EVER have to bias your amp IF you go the route of getting tubes that are matched to thir color code rating of your MESA amp. You just keep getting tubes with the required rating.

You can get the high priced crap tubes from MESA, or you can get them from other places who have the matching system. I recommend the tubestore.com as they are nicely priced, ship fast and are helpful guys. There another place I believe called eurotubes that is great as well.

I believe that the MESA's are fixed bias anyways, so you basically HAVE to get whatever rated tube value it requires in it or have a technician alter that.

In other amps, biasing is usually about 35+ dollars.

Comment

Okay cool, thanks man. I just hope the tubes work nicely when my amp gets here next week. I kinda dug deep in the wallet to get the head, let alone tubes.

Comment

Yeah, tubes generally last pretty well especially if it isn't played on ten a lot, haha...

Good luck with that amp, and I hope you enjoy it! I'm not a MESA tone fan, I just never get what "I" want out of them. Everyone else seems to do just fine though! They do make an amp that is very nicely built out of quality parts.

Comment

What kind of tubes do Mesa actually use? I know they're labeled Mesa, but which brand are they really? I got my first tube amp a few months back (a Mesa F-30 1x12 combo) and it's got 2 EL84s and 4 12 AX7s. Sounds pretty good to me, but when the time comes to change them, should I just get another brand?
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Im pretty sure they use a lot of the Sovtek tubes.They just rebrand them with the Mesa logo.I am a huge Mesa fan,but I would never pay the price they want for there tubes.IMO I like the JJ 6L6gc in my Mesa 290 poweramp,and a combo of the JJ and Elctroharmonics 12ax7 in my Mesa triaxis.

Comment

Cool. Thanks, Paul.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

What do the letters after the tubes mean? like 6L6gc etc...does that mean my amp only takes one type of 6L6, and nothing else?

Comment

I just learned today that the "C" at the end means China, and if it has an "R" at the end, it means Russia, denoting the place that it was built.

Comment

Is there a certain way/ direction that tubes are to be installed? Because i dont know whether to tell the guy whos shipping my amp to leave them in and pad em up inside the head, or just take them out and pad them. Is there a certain allignment theyre supposed to be in?

Comment

Box, I believe only Groove Tubes uses the last letter as a denotation of country of origin...
                          Groove tube codes:
                          B or R= Russia
                          Y = Serbia Yugoslavia
                          C = China
                          S = Slovakia

Final letters often specify the type of envelope or shell of the tube.

The code is:

G = Large glass envelope.
                          GC = Glass Compact - a tubular glass envelope
                          GT = Glass Tubular - the smallest glass envelope
                          M = Metal Envelope
                          WA = High Quality version

VT numbers are USA miliary valves. Unfortunately no way to decode those i know of.

6String, the power tubes have a a pin with a notch the fits a corresponding hole in the tubes socket to properly align the tube. Preamp tubes that don't hae the center pin with a notch have some missing pins which correspond to missing holes in the socket, which force you to insert the tubes in the proper rotation or you would bend pins over.

Comment

Yes there is.There is only one way that they will go in correctly.On the bottom of the poweramp tube on the side of the plastic pole that runs between the pins is a little nipple type of bump that sticks out you allingh that with the way it is on the tube socket.As for the 12ax7 you check on the tube socket for the way all the pins on the tube will allingh the right way.Hope this helps you If you look at the tube sockets and the bottom of the tubes it is pretty simple.Paul

Comment

Hehehe.. Paul said nipple... Heh, coool...

Comment

Working...
                              X