Tube question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tube question

I replaced my burned power tranny sunday afternoon, so I had to re-bias my amp. Let me tell you what I've been reading last week to come up to the correct bias point(conclussions)
    6L6GC>6L6GB>6L6GA
    OLD 5881=6L6GB
    SOVTEK 5881WXT>6L6GB
    (This is about power rating and plate B+ hadling)
    In a forum post, I readed that someone set his 5881wxt amp runnig @ 500v B+ @ 65 mA for about a year without any noticeable issues. Did same last night & liked much @46 mA (less chunk, but more round/non harsh brite sound).
    If you don't know how to measure currets openig up your amp, get a bias probe/metter, get a trim bias pot installed @ the rear panel and DIY! All you need to know is the B+ voltage of your amp(get measurred at tech-shop & label it) the max power dissipation of your desired tube and do this formula to get the bias current Bias mA=(Power D/B+ plate voltage)*0.7 up to 0.8*100. (0.7 to 0.8 is a factor that deppends of how hot you want you amp to run).
    For example 6L6GC(30watts) @ 500v=(30/500)*0.8*100= 48 mA for a HOT amp.
    Take the measure after heating the tubes, power on and NO SIGNAL= 0 vol & 0 Gain. Turn the trim pot til you get the desired mA current.
    Matched means that each tube was tested untill found a pair or cuartet tha drains same plate current.
    Why a matched cuartet? Because you are setting the same bias current for all of them (since you have 1 bias circuit and 1 bias pot). If you ask a tech to add independent bias circuit and bias pot for each tube, you can set bias current per-tube and need no more matched tubes.
    With:
    * EXTERNAL BIAS TRIM POT
    * BIAS PROBE/METTER
    * KNOW VALUES FOR B+ & TUBE POWER HANDLING
    Every one should DIY. It's pretty easy and you can
    * Re-tube
    * Change tube type
    * Find the bes bias setting
    ALL BY YOURSELF!!

[ June 14, 2004, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: CZ V-KNIGHT ]

Comment

Re: Tube question