Choose my next pickup!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choose my next pickup!

Okay all, I'm looking to experiment with a new guitar pickup for the Gibson V I got off forum member "L". I have EMG's in a guitar right now and I'd really like to try something else.

I want a high gain pickup something along the lines of a Seymour Duncan Livewire Heavy metal, Duncan Invader, or a Dimarzio X2N. This is going to be a pure metal guitar. Down tuned to C or B. I have a custom pick guard being cut with just 1 hum and a tone and vol hole.

I am building a guitar for cleans and leads, I have a guitar that can do both, and I need a balls out death metal guitar. period.

So anyways, I can decide which pickup to go with, so whichever comes most suggested I will select and go with.

So please, by all means, recommend me a new pickup. The JCF shall decide my fate.

Re: Choose my next pickup!

Are you forming a death metal band? [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
      Are you forming a death metal band? [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes actually. Heading into the studio this summer.

Dutch Oven Studio in northern California. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Should be a blast [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

ps. suggest a pickup. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[ June 13, 2004, 04:04 AM: Message edited by: PaddoK ]

Comment

Seymour Duncan Parralel Axis Trembucker(maybe they make it in rewgular spaceing) Check it out at the Duncan home page. Lots of Highs and 21.5K Very hot. Jack.

Comment

i strongy suggest the dimarzio x2n. thats a killer pu for death and black metal......hell, even evil chuck played one of those fuckers and made his relatively cheap SS marshall stacks sound KILLER [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

greets
          fragle

Comment

Warpig humbucker is ace!

www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk

Apparantly 'the' pickup for death metal and zakk wylde style sound\harmonics etc without going active.

Hand wound to order from the UK, and its 'distressed' so it looks like a killer rusty metal pickup [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I would suggest the Invader. Tons of harmonics and huge punch.

Comment

Eh, I wouldn't go with an Invader if you're tuning down. It's got a lot of bass and low mids, so it might sound like mud. Definitely go X2N. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

From what I've heard, the Duncan Distortion stays pretty tight in lower tunings. It works wonders for me at E flat. Best metal riffing pickup ever!

Comment

Never tried a DD, but if he wants a shitload of gain for death metal, the X2N is it! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hrm, seems to me that the X2N is in the lead right now. I had one in the past and really liked it.

So many good pickups too hard to choose.

And by the way, don't worry about trying to convince me that one pickup is better than the other. This is purely a numbers game. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] But I do enjoy reading the reasons.

Comment

Dimarzio PAF. Let your amp do the work!

Comment

Originally posted by PaddoK:
                          This is purely a numbers game.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Very well:

Distortion, Distortion, Distortion, Distortion, Distortion, Distortion, Distortion, Distortion, Distortion, Distortion, Distortion, Distortion, Distortion, Distortion, Distortion, Distortion, Distortion, Distortion, Distortion, Distortion, Distortion, Distortion, Distortion, Distortion,

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell:
                            Dimarzio PAF. Let your amp do the work!
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I had thought about that, but the LAST thing I wan't to do is have to use a dist. pedal. They all sound terrible. [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I play through a peavey rockmaster into a mesa 20/20. The studio I know has a 5150 sitting arround, which I may check out. I'm all for high output pickups.

Comment

Well does no one else have an opinion?

Comment

Working...
                              X