Carvin Legacy and Fender Cybertwin Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin Legacy and Fender Cybertwin Head

Has anybody tried either of these 2 amps? One of my students just bought a Cybertwin head and 4 x 12 cabinet and he claims that it rips and many of my Carvin bro's are pushing me to get a Legacy. I listened to the demo online and it is killer. It sounds like it nails the Vai tone (of course he was the one playing it on the demo!!) I have never heard either in person. I heard that Vai uses stock Legacy's on the G3 tour.

Re: Carvin Legacy and Fender Cybertwin Head

John, I just sold my CT after three days, sounds like a noisy, dreck, piece of crap to me.

Yuck, like cats in a blender. But the fender tones were ok I guess.

IMHO

Shawn
    Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

I probably haven't really spent enough time with a CT to know for certain (store demos only) but I wasn't impressed. The clean tones were nice (but then again, they usually are) but the heavier stuff didn't do much for me.
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I used a Carvin Legacy halfstack at a gig once that the dude in the other band let me use...after messing with the gain channel I ended up just plugging my pedalboard (which back then was a Morley wah, a Boss DS-1, a Boss GE-7, Boss octave and a DOD Chorus pedal) into the front end and using my pedal for distortion. I hated that amp.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend the CT. I actually like the Legacy head, but I would definitely check into an MTS series Carvin head. Go scan on the Carvin Messageboard for some soundclips. The MTS heads rip!

Comment

Thanks guys. I tried the Cybertwin and you guys are dead on. The Fender tones are stellar. Everything else is for shit.
            I have also heard tht the Legacy has to be cranked to sound as good as the demo online.

Comment

CyberTwin sound is so brittle and piercing when you push the gain and go for a hard rock/metal sound. It has more clarity on cleaner Fender tones. The effects are good enough but it's not an amp for heavy music.

I have a friend that bought an MTS and upon recommendation from Carvin (for his style of music), had it ordered retubed with 6L6's. It came to his house in full shred mode. He was so glad he got the special order MTS and not "settle" for a Dual-Recto. I've played through it too, live, and it's a flamethrower.

I've heard a Legacy about 5 years ago but the kid was a rich boy, beginner, and a bad band. I don't remember his sound. But he looked good on stage with a brand new Legacy half stack and a 7-string Universe. For all I know, it was prolly Good Charlotte before they had a name. Come to think of it.. maybe the band was called Bad Charlotte. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Never liked the Cybertwin but I never spent time tweaking it either

The Legacy head actually sounds very good the only problem is it is loud and has to be played loud.... IT is toneful and a great value though no question
                I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I hope it's good the Fed Ex dude just dropped one off at my house. I'll let you know how it sounds but I probably won't get a chance to really try it till the weekend. I figured for $500 shipped it can't be all bad. With some of the clips I've heard it sounds right up my alley.

Oops jsut to let everyone know I'm talking about a Legacy [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I tried a CT combo a friend of my cousin's had. It sounded okay, but I couldn't get real high gain sounds out of it... and I was using my Hamer with dual EMG 81s.

I've heard that Vai's Legacy is stock, but he still pushes the front end of it with a Boss pedal anyway (DS-1, SD-1?) [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X