Cool pedal mod with pics - 6waySD-1!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool pedal mod with pics - 6waySD-1!

Ok. Here's what I did... with pictures! First off, I did the standard mods on the net for the SD-1 (Boss Super OverDrive) which mainly consist of replacing some capacitors with film for better fidelity, socketing the IC chip so you can swap them out easily, and putting a small capacitor across the clipping circuit to get rid of the chainsaw high end. Some of the cap mods also kept the bass fairly normal, instead of the bass loss that the stock pedal has.

Here's a pic of the board after the socket mod, before all were completed...

Well, I took the pedal and removed the power adapter socket, and drilled a hole deeper into the pedal:

Then I wired up a 6 way switch with the following clipping pairs:

two small diodes (like a tube screamer)
    three small diodes (stock SD-1)
    two small LEDS
    One LED, one large diode
    one large diode,one small diode
    no clipping diodes at all

This gives you six different tones. Some are close to each other, but they are all different and behave differently. If you can't hear the difference between a tube screamer and a SD-1 stock, then this mod wouldn't probably do a lot for you in the first place.

Here are two last pics - the pedal from the front, and the top... note that the case does NOT fit properly anymore, there is about 1/16" of an inch of gap. There's not a lot of room inside one of these pedals for the switch, which is pretty big. It's sturdry and fine.

Pete

Re: Cool pedal mod with pics - 6waySD-1!

[img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] Yeah, but will it make coffee for me [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ? As usual, it looks great Pete. Any clips yet, by chance? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Hotrod:
      [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] Yeah, but will it make coffee for me [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ? As usual, it looks great Pete. Any clips yet, by chance? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thx. No clips, finished this thing up around midnight or so, and the wife was sleepin'. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I may do some soundclips of it tomorrow, but I have a few amps and pedals to finish up too. I have way too many projects!

Pete

Comment

That's awesome! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
        X