Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pick-ups for all-maple bodies

Hi guys,

I was wondering which humbuckers or single coils you use in or find suitable for all-maple body guitars?

I have a PCS '94 trans black flamed maple Dinky which came with a Bill Lawrence XL500 (?) humbucker and 2 Jackson SC's.
    I've replaced the BL with a Duncan Distortion because it was REALLY thin sounding and the neck SC with a Duncan Cool Rail.
    Now I find the amount of distortion and power from the SH6 great and a lot more bass/body(?) than the BL but it sounds somewhat sterile/lack of warmth(mids) due to the maple I guess?
    The Cool Rail is nice for clean sounds.

So now I'm doubting of maybe replacing the distortion by one wich would sound a little warmer perhaps and gives nice leads.

any advice?

I play it through an Engl 530 pre-amp and currently a Marshall 8008 but I'm looking for a VHT (if this info is helpful).

Thanks! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

ps: I heard that some 'Bill Lawrence' pups aren't really BL, but imitations, how do I know it's a real one? It does mention Bill Lawrence on the back though.

Re: pick-ups for all-maple bodies

I know that I am in the minority around here...but, on guitars with maple caps, I really don't like hot pickups. The combination of Maple and the overwound pups has a harsh sound IMHO. A good choice would be a Duncan 59, or a Seth or something like this...I would keep it under 10K. That will keep the highs from being too harsh, and keep the low end from becoming too "boomy". Hope this helps.

Comment

yeah,
      but I'd like to use it as a shred/metal guitar and it might be a little too less high gain with a '59 if you know what I'm saying? I have a '59 in neck position and it's not what I think is a 'metal'pup.

I was thinking of an invader but now I've heard they're muddy-sounding?
      I'd like it to be one of the SD progressive series if possible...

Comment

Duncan Invader. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] They've got high gain, low mids and bass punch without being muddy. I had two in my old Kelly that was poplar, and they killed! I'd think it would be sweet in a brighter body like maple.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That depends on where your gain is comming from. If you are generating loads of gain in the preamp stage...then a hot pickup will more than likely just compress a bit more, but really wont give you more gain. There is only so much headroom in a 12AX7..oversaturate it, and it just compresses. In alot of the newer amps, the preamp stage is *loaded* with gain and smacking the front end with a hot pickup doesn't have that dramatic an effect. In a vintage Marshall, its a completely different story.

How about a Custom 5 or a JB? Both of them a pretty hot but not over the top...the all maple body would be a bad match for the Invader IMHO.

Comment

APC
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

www.adderplus.com

BEST PICKUPS EVER!
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, George Lynch's guitars are all maple, so you might try a Screamin' Demon. They run about 10K as suggested earlier. If you like Lynch's tone, it might be an option. I have one in my model 4 and it sounds great.

Comment

I have the stock Jackson J90-C in the bridge of my solid maple and it SINGS. Tried swapping with a Duncan Full Shred and then a Tom Anderson H3, but went back to the J90-C. the Full Shred was WAY too harsh for maple... turns out even though the full shred is not a very hot pickup, it is voiced to have a lot of high end.

Also went through a bunch of pickups for the neck humbucker position and settled with a Duncan Seth Lover...sounds great, but be warned that under very loud volume conditions it can have a nasty ringing feedback. I suspect a '59 might have a similar sound but without the feedback issue....

Comment

.. but yeah, the seth isn't exactly a metal pickup. I don't generally use the neck position for metal tones, but for cleans and more classic distortion.

Comment

APC??

Comment

I have a solid maple bodied (and maple/maple neck!) Charvel. I have a Screamin' Demon in the bridge and a '59 (original) in the neck and it sounds great. The SD is designed for a solid maple body guitar and works very well there IMO. It is not high-output, but does metal pretty well in combination with a high gain amp.

Comment

I run a JB and Jazz (neck) in mine. I have a maple body and neck.
                          www.kiddhavok.com
                          www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

My '87 Carvin Ultra V has an all maple body and neck. I put a Rio Grande BBQ bucker in the bridge. It's a killer pickup.
                            "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

ive got a few all maple guitars. X2N & the super dist. sounds great in them. also i would play with the pickup height on the duncan distortion before gettin a new pickup. i would lower it a bit. & the 500XL doesnt sound good in maple guitars IMO. too trebly.

Comment

Working...
                              X