pick-ups for all-maple bodies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: pick-ups for all-maple bodies

Consider a DiMarzio Super 3. Basically, it's a Super Distortion with some of the high-end rolled off, and the low-mids emphasized. I had one in my old all-maple Carvin DC-145, and it made a big difference in the sound--though the guitar was still fairly bright-sounding.

Comment

By the way, the "real" Bill Lawrence pickups are easy to spot--they have larger, wider blades that have a 'radius', rather than being flat along their length. The 'fake' Bill Lawrence pickups do say "Bill Lawrence" on them, so you can't go by that. They are cheapo versions of the old Lawrence pickups from the '70s/'80s and are ok, but nothing special.

I've read that even the real Lawrence 500xl's can be fairly bright, so they might not be the best choice for an all-maple guitar. Perhaps the slightly less powerful 500L would be a better choice.

Comment

PF...who is making the REAL BL pickups, Bill & Becky Lawrence, that where i got mine from? I know there are 2 people making them but i never thought about it.

Comment

Screamin Demon is My vote. I have several in maple Jacksons and they sound great in those body's. They were designed for maple bodys.
          Custom Shop-There is no substitute!

Comment

Originally posted by j2379:
            PF...who is making the REAL BL pickups, Bill & Becky Lawrence, that where i got mine from? I know there are 2 people making them but i never thought about it.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry I never replied--forgotten I had posted on this thread. Bill & Becky make the 'real' Lawrences, while the 'fake' ones are made by Bill's former business partner at a company called 'Lawrence Sound Research' or LSR for short.

The LSR folks swear that their pickups are the same exact ones that Bill was making years ago, but I've read others saying that they are overseas cheapo versions. All of the Washburn Nuno guitars, as well as '93-95 Jacksons, featured the LSR versions, as I don't think Bill had set up his own shop yet back then. I didn't think the LSRs I've had (including a recent one) were too bad, but they weren't for me, as they seem trebly and lacking in body.

I've never gotten the chance to try Bill's own pickups, so I can't really say how good they are. I found out all of this background info when I was considering getting pickups from Bill about a year ago. But I ended up being very satisfied with the Duncan Distortion, and I really haven't been interested in trying anything else since.

Comment

thanks thats what i thought but just wanted to be sure. ive had a few guitars with the old BL pickups & they are great, alot better than the newer fakes.

Comment

Working...
              X