broken tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken tube

Hey, i think a tube may have been damaged in my dual rec during shipment to me. The three other power tubes light up, but one doesnt. Is that a sign of malfunction? Does having 3 instead of 4 working power tubes change my sound at all? or just how loud my amp can be? Thanks guys

Re: broken tube

Im thinkin of pulling out the power tubes in one of my other amps (both 6l6) and putting em in the mesa too see if theres a noticeable difference. The power tubes in the mesa read "6L6GC" and in the amp id be taking them from, the power tubes have "6l6gt" on them. Are the tubes interchangable or will i blow a fuse or something if i use a different type on my amp?

Comment

As far as I know you can here are two links. It shows the substitutes for each tube. 6l6 GT 6l6 gc

Comment

Biasing issues aside. A 6L6 is a 6L6. The GC stands for "Glass Container." GT probably stands for "Groove Tube" I have interchanged 6L6's in numerous amps without any problems.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I think I blew a tube. GT stands for "Glass Tube" not Groove tube. These designations are a little antiquated. 6L6's used to have metal bodies for that "Heavy Metal" sound. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

From what the guy told me who i bought the amp from, the tubes had never been replaced. When removing the tubes to replace them with the set i took out of the other amp, the plastic bottoms to the tubes were broken off inside the amp, so i had to pull those out, and im assuming that i cannot use those tubes again. So that means ive got to get a new quad for my boogie. Anyone have any good brand reccomendations for me? Ive heard much about JJ and electroharmonix...is one better?

Comment

The plastic guide pin can break off a tube and it can still be good. Look on the bottom of the tube where the pin broke. You will see where the guide rib used to be by the outline. Mark that site on the side of the tube. Ya just line it up and you are set to go. I would only go through this if it were and old valuable tube.

Comment

I would start here. THis is where I purchased the tubes for my JMP-1. Tube Store

There are a lot of sites that give reviews on each tube just do a search and read about the characteristic on each brand of 6L6.

Comment

About 10 years ago I had an Ampeg head that was all tube, and I used Groove tubes (6L6) in it and was very happy with the sound. Not sure if today they are still the same quality but they were great then.

Comment

Working...
                  X