Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubalanced vs balanced mic cables: what's the difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubalanced vs balanced mic cables: what's the difference?

One can walk on a balance beem better than the other. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Ox

Re: Ubalanced vs balanced mic cables: what\'s the difference?

Unbalanced cables are what our guitars use. They're high impedence, and have a single conductor wire to carry the signal, with a ground shield wiring surrounding the conductor. Balanced cables are low impedence, and have two conductors instead of one.

I'm almost 100% sure that Shure SM57 require balanced cables.

High impedence is the reason we guitarists can only use so much cable length before we start losing signal. I'd really like to get all my guitar equipment modified for low impedence, if it's possible. Anyone know if it is?

Comment

Oh yeah, you can use an unbalanced cable with a balanced mic. Just don't use any long cables.

Comment

ninja guitar is right. The two conductors on a balanced cable carry each a different phase of the signal. Normally you can use a unbalanced cable for transfering balanced signals. Just make sure that the - Phase is tied to ground. (normally ground is pin 1 on a xlr connector and - is pin 3).

Ninja guitar i never heard about modding your guitar for low impedance. The only thing you could try is using a d.i. box before going into your main cable. But i really doubt that there is a benefit in such an approach. I mean if the high impedance would be such a problem i think there would already be a solution to it.

Flo
        http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Ubalanced vs balanced mic cables: what\'s the difference?

My drummer and I have been doing some recording. We're mic'ing our equipment, and running it thru an old school mixer. Then it goes into a soundcard into his PC.

I noticed the cable attached to my Shure SM57 is an ubalanced cable. So what's the difference between balanced and unbalanced cables? Is there a noticeable sound difference?

Comment

Working...
          X