Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combo Amp suggestions

hey guys and tone masters

I'm looking for a good tube combo to record with at lower volumes. I'm tired of modelers and my JCM 800 2203 head w/a 4x12 is just too loud (read limits times I can record). I haven't checked out any combos and want something that will be good tone wise at bedroom volumes. I'm in the 80 metal tones of Rhoads, Lynch, VH etc. I don't want to spend a whole lot so no Bogner combos [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'll probably pick up something used. This will really only be for recording when I can't blast the Marshall. How does the Mesa .22 sound? This is an example of what I'd like...lower wattage and tube. I alos don't mind running a SD1 for distortion and overdriven sounds if the amp isn't a gain monster. Is a combo the way to go or should I go a different direction?

any suggestions would be appreciated.
    shawnlutz.com

Re: Combo Amp suggestions

I have been seeing more of the Laney tube combos selling for very cheap lately. Nice 80's metal sound think Marshall + 5150 blended. Both Paul Gilbert/Tony Iommi have gotten great sounds out of them for years. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Talk with Twister Amps and get one of his low wattage amps. From the clips he has posted they sound pretty damn good.

Matt

Comment

Mesa Boogie F30. Done deal. This will most likely give you what you need. I picked one up about 4 months ago and I really like it. Go to www.mesaboogie.com and check it out. You can swing one off ebay used. They are great sounding at low volumes. They really shine there, but the beauty is, these babies can rock out if you need to. They can be very loud if you crank em. Its 30 watts, 2 channels, reverb, channel 2 has a contour mode thats like kicking the gain up or using a tubescreamer. Very useful. its got a 3 button footwitch so you have lots of control. only 50 lbs. I dont know what your price range is, but I think its a great value for the price. you really get what you pay for. Go check one out before you make a decision on something else. Good luck, hope this helps!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I hear you bro and hopefully my suggestions will give you what you want. We have the exact same taste in tone. OK here it goes:
          Roland Cube 30 (a fantastic small modeller) It NAILS Lynch tone from Under Lock and Key and Back for the Attack. It also NAILS the Demartini Ratt tone. The clean is a JC120. nuff said. Cheap and really good.
          Mesa Boogie Studio 22, 22+. Look for one with an EQ. It isn't necessary though. It is the 1 x 12 combo that all the other combo's wish they were.

Soldano Astroverb 16 or the Atomic 16 combo's. Words can't describe the tone. With no pedal pushing them you can get a killer early Dokken or BonJovi type tone. Add a pedal like a Rat or sn SD-1... total high gain metal.

Comment

If you have as great an amp as you do (love the 800!) then why not just get a PowerBrake or other attenuator?

Comment

What's the price On the Soldano's, I'm kinda tired of the modeling amp too, I just for some reason can't buy a good bedroom/recording tone out of my crate dxj212.
              I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Thanks guys. I had my eye on a .22 but I think it got shilled...went up a lot of dollars in the last minutes by a 0 feedback bidder [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I decided I am going for a combo deal, budget is in the $500-$700 range.

I thought about THD hotplating the 2203 but I figured a cool combo would get more use and easy to move around [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Tone, what do the F-30's run?
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

I'm on the same page as well Shawn. I've owned more cool tube amps than you can shake a stick at and am in love with my Mesa Studio .22 set up.

Comment

Sweet setup Chuck, the added 1x12 is cool as hell too. Does that sound good at lower volumes? I want something that will sould tubey, warm, overdriven at low volumes. To me low is low enough to use with my studio/office door closed and the wife and kiddies can sleep while I record into the we hours [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I like the J-Station but I really miss recording tube warmth and using natural feedback etc. The 2203 is great but it has to shake the house before it warms to the tone I like.
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Sounds like a Studio 22 is the answer for you bro. I used to rip on mine with my infant children in the next room. They also record GREAT.

Comment

It sounds terrific at low volumes Shawn. Of course it gets a little more "booty" to it when you turn it up due to pushing the speaker cones and output tubes, but its a little screamer at whisper volumes, too.
                        Mine has Celestion Greenbacks in both cabinets, and I think it's the best sounding amp I've ever owned. I've had three of these over the years now and don't plan on parting with this one.

If you wind up with one, get in touch with me and I'll share some settings with you. You have to approach these a little differently than most amps. I also have a copy of the owners manual with Mesa's suggested settings I could copy for you if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonemonster:
                          Mesa Boogie F30. Done deal. This will most likely give you what you need. I picked one up about 4 months ago and I really like it. Go to www.mesaboogie.com and check it out. You can swing one off ebay used. They are great sounding at low volumes. They really shine there, but the beauty is, these babies can rock out if you need to. They can be very loud if you crank em. Its 30 watts, 2 channels, reverb, channel 2 has a contour mode thats like kicking the gain up or using a tubescreamer. Very useful. its got a 3 button footwitch so you have lots of control. only 50 lbs. I dont know what your price range is, but I think its a great value for the price. you really get what you pay for. Go check one out before you make a decision on something else. Good luck, hope this helps!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, Mesa F30 all the way! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I've got one and love it to death. And both channels have their own reverb (gotta love that) that's also footswitchable.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz:
                            what do the F-30's run?
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">$799 new, but you can get them in the $550- $650 range on ebay. Both myself and WarriorX7 got ours from ebay for $600.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I had a DC-3 at one point, which I'm sure is the same preamp as the DC-2...just double the power and the graphic EQ. The DC series have the Recto preamp rather than the Mark series based preamp, like the .22's. It was a good amp, but it wasn't as good as I hear the .22's described around here. I haven't tracked down a healthy .22 to play so can't really say what the differences are.

Comment

Working...
                              X