Bias

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bias

I've just recently purchased new tubes myself and went to find a place to bias my Marshall head. When that came-up dry, I decided to perform this process my self. For my Marshall head, this process is very-very easy. Marshall has build into its head a 3 pin connector and 2 pots. Using these and a DMM, I was able to bias my tubes in about 5 mintes (I saved myself about $60) and this was my first time.

Do you know if your XXX has a bias setup like Marshall? If not, you can find some Bias tool hardware to use to perform this process.

From what I understand, when you bias your tubes you are adjusting the tube so that it either becomes hot or cold. The hotter the tube, the better it sounds, however, it won't last as long. Setting the tube colder will make it last longer but your sound/tone will be lifeless. For my Marshall, I can set my tubes anywhere from 85-90. I have my set at 87.

For your XXX, I'm not sure what your tubes should be rated at. If you check the current ones, you might have a starting point (however, my Marshall was set to 75/43 from the factory)

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Bias

Hi Guys,
    Being relatively new to the tube amp world I wanted to ask a couple questions on the topic of "Biasing" tubes. What does it actually mean and what does it involve? Maybe there's a good site you guys can point me to. Is it easy and something someon can do on the first attempt without destroying the amp? I currently have a peavey triple-X 212 and wanted to switch the tubes with EL34's once it reaches 1 year.

thanks for the input!

Comment

Re: Bias

Cool, thanks for the info. I believe the triple-X has a couple of those ports in the back for biasing. However, I'll have to take a look tonight for the adjustment pots. I'm guessing you need a multimeter to do this?

thanks again!

Comment

Re: Bias

Yep. In a previous thread , I have a link to the one I own. I set the dial to 2000m (the first one on the left) and then I was able to read the values. You should see two small round dials by the 3 prongs. For my amp, the left dial did the left two tubes and the right dial did the right two tubes. The same went for the 3 prongs, the left prong measured the left tubes and the right prong measured the right. The center prong is your common.

joe...
        www.godwentpunk.com
        www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Working...
        X