Mesa Studio 22 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Studio 22 review

Mine is an old version with no EQ and the metal toggle switches for on/off and standby. I would figure early 80's? It is bone stock.
    The owners manual has sample settings for pretty much every style of music imaginable.
    Mesa Boogie amps seem to all have interactive controls. What this means basically is that if you turn up the bass it limits the treble etc... It is incredible how little bass this amp needs. None of the settings have the bass over 4. The bedroom metal setting is perfect for whisper quiet shred tone. This amp shines at loud volume. It gets everything from country to jazz to vintage and hard rock to fusion. Most of the settings have the gain (volume) at 4 or less. This amp has tons of gain on 4. This is not an amp for nu-metal, death metal etc.. It isn't voiced for it. The heaviest you will get with no outboard processing is early Metallica. It has plenty of gain but gets very noisy at gain settings above 7. This amp doesn't get that sizzle of a Rectifier or a Soldano nor does it sound anything like a Marshall but what it does get is a midrange punch that is instantly recognizable. It is a fantastic amp for "finding" your own tone. It doesn't sound like any other amp that I know of and has its own unique tone. The more you turn it up the better it sounds. I wouldn't suggest it as a bedroom amp only because most of the settings don't sound good at bedroom levels (except for the bedroom metal settings). At a moderate volume it sounds great. At a loud volume it sounds fantastic.

Re: Mesa Studio 22 review

One of the biggest differences between the mesa mark series and the later rectifiers is the placement of the tone controls. The Marks have them early in the amp, the rectos have them later. This means a mark is going to get muddy as hell if you crank the bass, and the typical 'lots of bass, cut the mids a bit, and crank treble' sounds like CRAP on a mark series! The graphic EQ is towards the end, so it's common to see one of these amps with the bass on 3, and the bass on the graphic cranked.

Killer little amps!

Pete

Comment

I run the treble at 6.5, the mids at 7 or 8, the bass at 4 and the presence at 7 to get good distortion characterstics, and use the graphic to make it sound however I want, usually "V"'d.
      I also run the gain at 6 or so, depending on the overall volume (The louder, the less gain).
      The Graphic makes a HUGE difference in this amp, and with the graphic it does the low volume shred thing great.
      JG, you really need to try one with the EQ to get the full effect of what these little amps are capable of!

Comment

Hmmmm....glowing reviews by JG, Pete & Chuck. [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] Something tells me that this may be a good amp.

Comment

i'm able (with my closed back cab) to run every dial wide open, except the pres and treb without getting muddy - last show i played i had mine at
          vol 10 master 10 lead chan 10 treb 3.5 mid 10 bass 10 pres 0 rev 3 eq off. and it sounded great!

granted i have 2 more tubes but basicaly the same setup but i do have the eq - don't use it to much though.

these amps just sound so good goosed!
          ~JW
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Man, I really want to try one of these...they sound like they'd be perfect for the raw sound I'm into these days for distortion sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
              Man, I really want to try one of these...they sound like they'd be perfect for the raw sound I'm into these days for distortion sounds.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That is the perfect way to describe it... "raw sound". It is very pure and full of tone.

Comment

Working...
              X