loss of tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: loss of tone

mmh....i'd like it if you were right, because last time i gave parts of my gear (in that case, it was one of my guitars) to a tech it was gone for almost 3 months....and i dont want to be without my amp for that long (of course im quite sure it wont take that long, but you never know....back then all i wanted him to do was changing my pup's because i was a rookie and as i said it was gone for 3 months).
    but some things just make me doubt....for example this article i found in the net

"Biasing your amp is way to optimize tone and maximize tube life. In extreme circumstances, the amp could be on the verge of meltdown if you just plug in new tubes without biasing. My Hiwatt is a good example of this. With the Tesla tubes that came in it, the amp was biased too cold. When I stuck in a pair of Svetlanas, the amp was way too hot! The amp was seriously on the verge of meltdown. I bought a load of a certain type of NOS tubes to match a while back, and even with NOS there is a pretty big difference in the way that they idled among them. It happens folks. You need to get your amp checked when you get new tubes. If not only to save your tubes and possibly other parts that might go with the tubes, do it to optimize tone. "

so, i really dont know. if that guy's saying BS and you dont have to set my bias, i'll change em myself...but if not....i dont want my amp to be fried - or in this case, blown up [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .

as i said, i'm a tube rookie, but from a theoretical point of view, that little bias switch is just to set the bias just about in the same area so to say, because running 6l6 in an amp biased for el34 isnt too healthy....but i dont know how close this switch will get me to the individual tubes....as this guy above said, there should be a difference between lets say sovteks and teslas.

greets
    fragle

Comment

Svelana El-34's, JJ or EH 12AX7's. Actually, I've been using a 12AT7 in the V1 position and it sounds pretty cool. Cuts down on the fizziness, improves clarity, and reduces the gain somewhat. I use a Mesa Recto 50 watt head.

Comment

my experience with 12ax7's
        Sovtek WA: "loose" "open" "jangly" sound.
        Sovtek WB: "dark" "dull" sound.
        JJ: "smooth" "somewhat dark" very "rounded-out"
        Electo Harm.: "buzz-saw" "articulate"

putting a 12AT7 in the first or second slot is also pretty cool, as mentioned above.
        Opens is up a lot, very "clear" but a little loss of gain.

nandrew

Comment

Working...
        X