More Power!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Power!

I was talking to a guy ive known for a while who works at the local music store and he asked me about my steup nad stuff, and he told me that my 100watt thru a 400 watt cab wont get me alot of power.

He said I was better off getting a power amp to boost the signal, or sell the head and buy a power amp and POD.

Is he right? he siad with more power i could drop down to a lower Ohm rating and get a better sound out of my amp. Im not sure about getting a rack or snything like that, but its cheaper than getting a new XXX.

Re: More Power!

Sounds like he really wants to sell you some gear to me.

Its BS.

Comment

don't let him bend you over and give it to you dry!

what exactly is your setup?
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I think the guy that gave you that advice is an idiot. Especially when recommending a POD [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I think the guy that gave you that advice is an idiot. Especially when recommending a POD
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">he actually recommended a line6 rack thing but he said that a pod would be cheaper.

what exactly is your setup?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">jackson kvx10 thru a Randall RH100 and one of those behringer cabs

Comment

100 watts is all you are ever going to need.
            I still say the guy does not know what he's talking about.

Comment

you do get more wattage when you drop the ohm rating, but you are making the amp work harder and it becomes hotter and more unstable.

i see alot of this in car audio where kids drop the amp to 1 ohm and if the amp is not 1 ohm tested, they usually burn out.

anyway, like everyone else said 100 watts is alot of power. unless you are playing an arena or something ...lol

Comment

Do you like the way your setup sounds now? does paying alot of money for a seperate power amp and preamp seem like it will somehow improve it? I agree witht he others-it sounds like he is trying to sell you some gear just for the hell of it. The lne 6 rack thingy is just the rackmountable version of the POD if i am not mistaken. I believe it has some more doohickeys and thingamajigs as well. If you like tinkering around with a ton of models and presets, go for it. If you like the simplicity of a head/cab type setup, stick with it. I would bring my amp head in and try it through some different cabs to see if you could get more power before investing in a whole lot of crap you don't need.

Comment

Do you like the way your setup sounds now?
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No

and I dont like tinkering around with stuff. Thats why I dont use any effects pedals, not even the reverb that comes with it, as far as right now. Since im in a HC band i dont really need anything, but if I get my metal band going i might just need a distortion pedal or delay and chorus.

Comment

cough..cough..bullshit!! [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
                    As everyone else said 100 watts is plenty. If your having problems with your sound deal with that but as long as your "core" tone is good your ok.
                    "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

that behrenger SP? cab probably has some lame ass speakers in it.

buy some speakers.
                      You don't have to spend 100 bucks per speaker for celestions if you don't have the dough.

I went out on a limb and bought four eminence legend 12 in. speakers for my cab about three years ago, and couldn't be happier with the sound. They were only about 30 bucks a piece through musician's friend, and they rock!

I've been trying to get a friend of mine to buy one of those cheap cabs, and put some better speakers in it, that's a good way to go if you can't afford a Marshall 1960 cabinet.

nandrew

Comment

I want an amp with a better distortion, the Randall sounds too mushy. I need more clarity and a better EQ I suppose

Comment

I agree with Nandrew. Try a good cab first. There IS a difference between a Marshall (for example)and a cheap cab.

Comment

The dude is trying to sell you something you don't need.
                            On the other hand, you could probably improve on the Randall...
                            For metal and hardcore, a 5150 (for example) will give you everything you need, at INSANE volumes, if required. I've used 5150s in the past and they can do anything. You just have to fiddle around with the controls a bit.
                            And get rid of the Behringer, please... I've tried one of those and it was a tone-killer!

Comment

Working...
                            X