Carvin X100B head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin X100B head

I just scored one on Ebay. It is a 1986, black tolex covered, original owner, FS36 footswitch and original owners manual. It was freshly factory bias'd and running new EL34's and 12ax7a groove tubes. I had one of these for 2 weeks in the early 80's that I purchased new from Carvin and hated it with a passion. I sold it and went with Hiwatt heads and an MXR Distortion +. That is exactly why I jumped on this one. I didn't know shit back then. Every player could use a 25w/60w/100w switchable amp running EL34's. It should compliment my Mesa Dual Rectifier Tremoverb head nicely. Maybe I will a/b them for the smaller coffee house gigs!!

Re: Carvin X100B head

Killer amp I use mine with a korg ax1500 in front. btw if you ever want to sell the fs36 let me know.

Comment

That Korg is one hell of a processor. Since you have it in front of your X100B, do you only use the clean channel on the Carvin?

Comment

I also had one of these that I purchased from Carvin in the early eighties. Thank heavens for their 10 day return policy 'cause that biotch went right back.
        I recently sat down with two of them at a local shop that had these two used ones.
        I had very good judgement in the early eighties! [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

Comment

I still have the Mesa Studio 22 , maybe a Nomad 45 and a Dual Rectifier Tremoverb so if the X100B sucks, I will be able to live with it.

Comment

I had a x100b. That I puchased new in 1985. I used it for many years. The one thing I found was the amp sounded killer with a Marshall 1960a cab. My Carvin cab sounded good too but there is just something about a Marshall cab. I actually still have a Torres gain mod for it I never used (sold the amp and cab in 1998) I can dig it up if your interested I'm wodering how it would sound. EJ

Comment

JG i had the same amp i had Chris Davis mod it. first thing i did was switch to 6L6s, then he played with it to make it less buzzy sounding. wasnt bad, very marshall sounding but with more gain. & ive heard the torres mod is pretty good.

Comment

Hey Jamie, ejpii is hooking me up with that Torres mod. I barely remember what mine sounded like back in the 80's but regardless, it is a well made amp with a nice basic foundation that I am sure I can hot rod. If not, it will at least make a good back up amp that I can leave at the rehearsal studio. I just scored a Mesa Nomad 45 combo and a Boss GT-6. I am really excited about the GT-6. From what I read and heard it is one hell of a floor effects processor. Almost like a Vetta on the floor. It might work really well in the effects loop of the X100B. I was looking for an X100B with the black tolex covering and when this one came up I jumped on it. I love Carvin gear. Guitars, amps etc... its all good.

Comment

Working...
                X