Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I want a new amp, Which one to choose??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I want a new amp, Which one to choose??

Well, I'll be getting little money here in the next few weeks so a new amp and other things are in order so I've already had a fender M80 half stack with a boss effects prosseser, then I went to a 5150 combo, and now a crate dxj212 modeling amp.

The M-80 with the boss was the easiest to get a steady tone out of and was rock solid if I had to gig out, even though I don't do it much it's nice to have something just in case. The 5150 was just to buzzy and I could only get a good thrash tone out of it. The DXJ just doesn't have "it", The only thing I love about it is the acoustic channel.

The guitars I play are mostley 1 hum strats ith Duncun JB's, Playing with my tones over the past year with the 3 abouve amps, I would really like to get somewhere in between a slash/EVH/Lynch tone, but stll get somewhat of a clean tone.

I was thinking for the clean, maybe keeping the dxj and can I run a switching system to go from the dxj to whatever my ne amp will be??

These have been what I've narrowed it down to, I'm in the $400-$600 range, would like to stay in the 1x12 or 2x12 combo area.

Mesa Studio 22
    Soldano atomic 16
    Early JCM 800 combo

Any othere's??

I really don't want to go the modeling route again so I'm kinda soured on that
    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Re: So I want a new amp, Which one to choose??

I hope you don't want your 5150 back [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

At this point I wish I would've kept it but it still wasn't me, I wish it was. At the time i had my wolfgang and my dc125 with the customX2 in it and just was only able to get a awsome early testament sound out of it. Maybe I'm being to unrelestic about what I want out of a $500 amp.

Comment

Carvin MTS3212 combo
        Peavey ultra 112
        Peavey ultra 212
        Peavey XXL
        Soldano Astroverb 16 + seperate cabinet (choose the cabinet wisely).
        Mesa Studio 22,22+ with or without EQ

Comment

Mesa/Boogie F-30 1x12 combo. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Carvin!!!!!!

my most recent amp is Carvin SX-200 head.
            two channels, clean and gain, built in digital effects, 100 watts, solid state.
            It rocks.

My previous two amps were
            Mesa NOmad 55 head: it sucked balls.
            Mesa single recto head: good, but limited.

This Carvin Head is so f**king versatile, I can get so many sounds that I like out of it, it's unreal, and can blast the crap out of a drumset when the volume it at about 3.5 out of 10.
            $350 shipped direct from Carvin,
            Can't be beat!!
            [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            nandrew

Comment

Ok, Now what's all the advantages to these amps

The Peavey XXL and Ultra?? what's the difference between that and the XXX, I hated the XXX when I tried it right when they came out, I played it thru a stop tail wolfie with a 4X12 5150 cab and it just sounded like bottom end ass no matter how much I played with it

The Mesa F30?? how different is that against the Studio??? The studio I played through 2 weeks ago was pretty decent, I played it with a Les Paul Custom so It wasn't definitive to my sound I think. I would need to try it with a JB equiped strat.

The Astroverb?? How differnt is that between the Atomic 16.

[ June 23, 2004, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Drsracing ]

Comment

Originally posted by Drsracing:
                Ok, Now what's all the advantages to these amps

The Peavey XXL and Ultra?? what's the difference between that and the XXX, I hated the XXX when I tried it right when they came out, I played it thru a stop tail wolfie with a 4X12 5150 cab and it just sounded like bottom end ass no matter how much I played with it

The Mesa F30?? how different is that against the Studio??? The studio I played through 2 weeks ago was pretty decent, I played it with a Les Paul Custom so It wasn't definitive to my sound I think. I would need to try it with a JB equiped strat.

The Astroverb?? How differnt is that between the Atomic 16.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The few Peavey Ultra's that I played sounded fantastic. Even the Supreme's are really good. Fantastic clean channel, excellent 5150/Boogie type distortion sound and a killer lead (ultra) channel. 3 channels are very handy. They all sounded good at any volume and all tend to get bottom heavy at extreme volume.
                I have never played the F-30 but I do have a Studio 22. It is the one without the EQ and it has the metal toggle switches making it an early model. Extremely versatile but a little noisy. With the proper tweaking there is no sound you can't get. With the proper speaker cabinet you can even do borderline thrash. It reacts very well to pedals either in front of it or in the effects loop.
                The Astroverb 16 is basically an Atomic 16 with reverb. It is bumped up to 20 watts because I believe 4 watts are added for the reverb circuit. I had the astroverb 16 head and with the right cabinet, it was absolutely killer. Certainly more gain than most people claim. I never heard a combo but I would imagine it sounds pretty good. 1 channel and not alot of clean headroom but it gets that killer Soldano tone for sure.
                Think of the XXL like a solid state XXX. Think of the XXX like a 5150 with 3 channels and a great clean channel.

Comment

Is there anywhere to try the Carvin amps at??? do they have dealers?? I can go and try any mesa/marshall/peavey I need too, but the Carvins I can't.

Toejam, whats the F30 like???

Comment

Flextone! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Hmm, I liked the flextone. I may have to venture out this week and try one again. I still like the idea of a small tube amp and maybe adding a Chamealon on as a effects prosseser. Or just playing with the 3 pedals I'd only use anyways, A delay, Flanger, and a chorus

Comment

MESA STUDIO 22 WITH THE 5 BAND EQ [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

if you want a Marshall half stack, I'll sell you this for $400: link

I'll even cover shipping! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

I actually have one of those little fender 1 watt things.

Comment

Dude, I would seriously put some more thought in to a Carvin amp. They will give You the most value for Your money. Definitely look in to the MTS amps. They are KILLER sounding tube amps in your price range.

Comment

Working...
                              X