Favorite speaker cab and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite speaker cab and why?

i keep the vintage marshalls at home for special gigs,recording sessions and play out with the boogies on the right.

Comment

i like my marshall fullstack.
      the cabs are both made in the 70´s. the straight one (typ 1982B) is equiped with 4xG12H30 with 55Hz fS and the slanted (originaly a 1982)is equiped with 2xG12H30 and 2xVintage30s.

i like the bottomend of this cabs and the clear tone they produce.

Comment

I like my Framus Cobra cab. It has 4x25watt Vintage 25's in it. Sounds great with the matching head. Plenty of sizzle, thump, and mids.

My other favorite cab was an old school 4x12 Mesa 1/2 back cab. TONS of low end and plenty of sizzle. Never got a chance to run the Cobra thru it though.

I sold a Mesa vertical slant 2x12 to a friend with my Single Recto head. That one had V30s in it and had a bit of harshness to it that I didn't like.

Comment

GENZ BENZ GFLEX!!

i use this with a splawn modified marshall 1987 50 watt head. i have 2 of the 2x12's. they have 75 watt speakers i believe. it gets great low end crunch and sounds really sweet with LOADS of harmonics. i tired the 'vintage' style marshall 4x12's and thought they were a bit muddy, especially when i used my mxr flanger to do that 'atomic punk' thing.
          plus the benz benz cabs have several input jacks for different ohms and stero capabilities.

my sound is similar to early evh and lynch. when i back off on the gain i can get vintage allman bros tone.

Comment

i use a 1969 and 1970 ampeg v4 4X12's...they seem to take away the harshness of the solid state amps i use and add no distortion...no idea what speakers are in them...i think they're stock...d.m.
            http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Mesa/Boogie F-30 1x12 combo with Celestion Vintage 30, and the 1x12 closed-back extension cabinet has a Celestion G12T75 which seems to be a little darker and adds a little more low end.

[ June 28, 2004, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Marshall 1960bv [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] loaded with 25 watt greenbacks
                tight,alot of punch ,great mids,the 25 watters seem to distort a little faster than the others,i only use bottom cabs because they have more bass
                blues to metal

Comment

Of all the cabs i have owned..(many [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )my fav. is still this one Carvin 4-12 from the 70's.(bottom left) it is loaded with 4 orig. celestion sidewinders. At 150 watts apiece this 600 Watt cab has just out-crushed,and out-lived many a cab...even some vintage Marshall's and can take any amp i have thrown at it. As i play mostly metal, this thing just shreds. tight mids, punchy lows, and sparkling hi's. Some people have favorite speakers within one cab that they like to mic. i can mic. any one in this cab and it sings true.It's a monster though, it weighs in at like around 110 or 120 lbs. i forget which...as opposed to my 2 Behringer cabs at 70lbs.(i know... i know.....Behringer ? WTF? actually these sound damn good hell I'd buy a few more,at 250.00 new with 3 year warr. i took a chance.....maybe mine just sound good and i got lucky) and my Randall at around 90 ish. I'll probably never sell it though... to many good sounds have come out of this this one. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                  "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

I love my Mesa's...2 Recto 4X12's (1 slant, 1 straight) and 2 Half-back 4X12's (1 slant, 1 straight). The Recto's are loaded with V30's, the slant half-back has 2 Black Shadows and 2 EV's, the straight half-back has 4 100W Celestions I believe. I'm impressed with the ENGL 4x12 w/V30's as well and may be picking one of them up soon [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                    RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                    RIP Dime

Comment

It sounds crazy, but I've never found a reason to replace my Peavey 412MS, with Celestion G12K 85s in it. Once I re-wired it with solder connections, it's been damn near unstoppable for nearly twenty years. It's taller, deeper, and MUCH heavier than a Marshall with V30s or 75s, and sounds sooo much better. Handles my TripeRec just fine.

The only thing I might move to is a Recto cab with Celestion 90s, which is very similar. The only reason I can think of to do that, though, is if this one dies, which it's showing no signs of.

Mike
                      Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

you guys make my 30 watt marshall combo cry [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Rivera Knucklehead 4x12 Bottom cab. Loaded with V30's.
                          I've had Marshalls, Mesa's, this thing beats them all. Built like a tank. Great low end thump, and very clear voicing.

Tough to find a better cab IMO. Except perhaps an Uberkab.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
                            It sounds crazy, but I've never found a reason to replace my Peavey 412MS, with Celestion G12K 85s in it. Once I re-wired it with solder connections, it's been damn near unstoppable for nearly twenty years. It's taller, deeper, and MUCH heavier than a Marshall with V30s or 75s, and sounds sooo much better. Handles my TripeRec just fine.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm betting that's a Butcher or VTM cab like mine. Does it have a gold logo and cream coloured trim?
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                            X