Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you recommend to add more low end to my sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you recommend to add more low end to my sound?

I currently play with a Voodoo Amps modded Peavey Triple XXX head, Genz Benz 2x12 cab, GMW guitars with Dimarzio (Tone Zone, Fast Track) and Duncan (JB, Custom) pickups. I would like to add more low end to my sound. Which of the following would you recommend:

1. Change pickups (maybe EMG's?)

2. Add an overdrive pedal (Boss SD-1)

3. Add an Eq (Boss Eq pedal)

What do you think?

Re: What would you recommend to add more low end to my sound?

Thanks for the input folks. Since I already have a Genz Benz 2x12, would it be okay to add another one, or should I just get a 4x12? I think that I'm gonna get an eq and also some EMG's to try on. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Are you sure that you need more bass? Guitars aren't supposed to be too bassy sounding, or whenever you play you will getting a shitty booming sound that will sound like crap and drown out your bass player. Lower freqs are your bass player's playground. For recording guitars I usually roll off the bass.

Comment

A good point Ace makes. I've always thought that the guitar was a midrangey instrument... scoop your mids and you will not be heard above the thundering low bass, nor the simultaneously high AND low wonder that is the drumkit. That's their territory.

I guess when playing alone, accentuated upper and lower frequencies are fine, but in my limited experience jamming with friends and instructors, midrange is a VERY good thing. Really helps you to slice through the territory that the bassist and the drummer can't ever seem to wander into. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Is anyone else finding that they can't hear the bass player in a lot of modern metal? Seriously. I listen to Maiden and Priest, who have that classic midrangey crunch that allow their bassists to be heard CLEARLY, and then I switch over to almost ANY modern metal and I can't hear the bassist if there's a guitar playing at the same time. It's as if there's almost NO point to having a bassist in the band.

Comment

you should really get a 412 cab. two 212 cabs dont sound as full as one 412 cab. furthermore, i really recommend getting a straight closed back cab. those have the best bass response.

@ace and notp: you are making good points, but if thats the sound he's after, let him do his thing. i personally like a balanced tone, while you may like a midrangey tone....it really depends on one's taste. of course youre bandmates will be much happier if you play with a midrangey tone, especially your bassist *lol*

greets
          fragle

Comment

It is not that I want too much low end, but just a little bit more. I'm thinking that an Eq in the loop and maybe a 4x12 will do the trick.

Comment

Ehh, having a bass player s over rated anyways., They're alway drunk or high, late for practice, or need a ride anyways, and never learn their parts as they can just ride E when in doubt.

I know what he means, you don't wanna drown the bassist, but you want an authorative chunk in your sound.

Hey, what do you call a guy who hangs out with musicians?

A bass player...

Comment

Hey Econ~

I have a XXX Head and 4x12 and wanted a little more low end too. I found it in a plain old Boss Stomp Box EQ..... Really smoothed out the bottom end and gave me a much fuller sound. Plus, it didn't break the bank. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:
                  Ehh, having a bass player s over rated anyways., They're alway drunk or high, late for practice, or need a ride anyways, and never learn their parts as they can just ride E when in doubt.

I know what he means, you don't wanna drown the bassist, but you want an authorative chunk in your sound.

Hey, what do you call a guy who hangs out with musicians?

A bass player...
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have to say i agree with you about bassist! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] BTW Soulfly kicks major ass, at least their self titled cd did, did ya listen to their latest? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Actually I haven't actually heard the new CD. I saw them like 4-5 times and have probably heard all the material live though.

I liked the first one. It was like the beginning detuned NuMetal in a way, with a cool vocalist and good tribal rythm/drums etc. Shame they didn't get on the bandwagon and make the money the rest of the NuMetal fags are making. Max deserves some success. I thik the tribal stuff did him in. Shame, as that was what I enjoyed in the music.

Always did like Max, I enjoy his vocal style. Next to Chuck S, Max is my fave for a death type of vocal. Understandable, yet listenable.

Comment

I find that interesting as the XXXs seem to have a serious bass from what I noticed. Hopefully there are no problems with it.

EMGs may help as I hear the pickups you have are a bit thin. I use 81s only and have more bass in my rig than I can use. Not saying it's all in the pickups though. They help for sure. If it is metal you are doing, they fit the bill quite well.

The SD-1 would likely not do what you want. I find I lose lots of bass and treble response with them in my chain. But, my rig hates lotsa stuff as it is fairly hifi, and most stompboxes seem to limit its frequency response I notice

Umm, a recto, genz (do they make a 4x12?), VHT fatboy, or 5150 sheffield 4x12 might be the answer, but I do hear those Genz Benz 2x12s are cool.

An eq may be it if your speakers can handle it.
                      I'd look to a parametric eq so that you can boost some bass freqs of your choice and you can tailor it to your liking without overloading the cab and "flubulating".

I'd put a Furman PQ-3, ART, or TC Electronics 1140 parametric in the loop. Those are the units to use IMO, with the 1140 being the "one". No pedal.

[ June 28, 2004, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Cleveland Metal ]

Comment

well, i think your pu's are fine. especially the tonezone is a bass monster. i think the most obvious move would be to get a bigger cab. you cant expect a 212cab to sound as full as a closed back 412 cab. if you like super heavy bass response go for the rectifier oversize cab - its made for that sound. another thing you could try is getting a regular sized 412 cab and get a 215 randall subwoofer cab. talk about super heavy bass. i personally think thats overkill (you wont need a bass player anymore lol), but maybe you like it.

but i also really recommend getting an eq. those babys put almost every amp into another dimension - not only low end wise, of course. as a rule of thumb: the more bands, the better. best is a parametric eq with shiloads of bands. talk about total control. i think theres nothing you cant do with lets say 10 parametric bands...of course you got to be prepared for some serious tweaking, but thats the way it goes....

i dont know what tubes you are using, but if you are using el34 try some 6l6 tubes.....but i guess you are already using them [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

greets
                        fragle

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Frighteningly, our new bassist doesn't drink or do drugs, is EARLY to rehearsal and gigs, actually drives, and writes all his parts out in notation so he has them perfect.

I'm convinced he's not actually real. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

As for the original topic, try running an OD1 - or a TubeScreamer is even better - if front of it with the gain down, level at 0, and the tone wherever you like it. This works well with Mesas, and since the XXX _really_ wants to be a Mesa, I think it may help.

See Andy Sneap's post in this thread.

Mike
                          Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

If you want to add some REAL bass to your sound, get an Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer. Then get your momma on speed-dial cause your gonna need her to talk you out from under your bed when that thing causes your liver to hemorrage and your roof to collapse!!

Comment

nothing - get a bass guitarist!
                              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                              X