Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you recommend to add more low end to my sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What would you recommend to add more low end to my sound?

Riviera makes/made a subwoofer cab for guitars to go along with the regular cab. Everything I've read about them was good too. Never tried one myself but I've been way into Home Theater for a while now and in theory it makes perfect sense.
    JohnnyMac
    Custom Shop-There is no substitute!

Comment

The general consensus seems to be that IF you play in a band, the bass player is there to fill those bass frequencies, so don't worry about them too much for specifically playing live.

However, for any other playing situation, or if you don't play in a band, or even if you play in a band and don't give a rat's ass what anybody says about having too much bass or how the bass player should take up the bass slack, there's no reason you can't have more bass if you freakin want more bass. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'm not familiar with your pickups, but EMGs generally seem to have good bass response to me. If you want dead-on hammerlike bass-response, the EMG-81 is an awesome pickup. If you want a little looser bass response, you might want to go with the EMG-85.

I wouldn't add an overdrive pedal into your setup unless you want to add that overdrive pedal's sound and other characteristics to your current sound and feel (duh! hehe). That's the point of an overdrive pedal, after all. If you have been thinking you want the "more gain" sound and feel, then sure, you might be able to also get the bass response you want by adding an overdrive or distortion pedal.

An EQ would be the most direct way to add in more bass. Like Cleve said a Parametric EQ would generally be the best option, if you aren't intimidated by Parametric EQs. They really aren't that hard to use, and for something as specific as adding "more bass", it should be a snap. However, if for any other reason you just don't want to use a Parametric EQ, a Graphic EQ should do the job just fine as well.

The other option I can think of would be to add something like a BBE, or some sort of Enhancer/Exciter to the mix. I personally run a BBE as well as a Behringer Ultrafex Pro, which is an Enhancer/Exciter/Bass Processor/Surround Processor. These types of units can alter your sound, though, be aware, though a HUGE number of players would say they definitely alter the sound in a GOOD way. I think the Behringer Ultrafex Pro would be a good option for you, in that you would have a large variety of options to fine-tune just what kind of bass response you want (4 modes/voicings of bass processing), as well as the Surround Processor would help your 2x12 sound bigger. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Stu

Comment

I wouldn't try EMG's. Although I like EMG's alot, I think they aren't quite as "beefy" as some passive pickups.

Just my $.02

Comment

Also try a 5150 412 cab as stated somewhere above, lotsa bass.

Comment

The last band I was in, the singer/guitarist had a closed-back 4x12 and I had a half-open 2x12, and we both had the same head (both straight in with no FX). My 2x12 drowned out his 4x12 with ease, and he was lost in the mush of bassiness, even if he used my guitar and I used his.
            Stick with a 2x12 and turn your Bass knob on the amp up to about 50-60%%, and your Presence (if it has one) down, or at least down to less than 50% (30% should be good). Leave your Mids and Highs at about 40% and 60-70% respectively.

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

My friends all play open back combos or heads with 2X12 closed - they always want to sound big like my rig. I have no secrets - I play a 5150 4X12 and VHT2902 to deliver the punch. I also use a Marshall 1960 from time to time. It's a mood thing. My 5150 4x12 cab produces more bass than my Marshall 1960. 5150's start to rattle apart after years of low end abuse. I had to drill a 3" deck screw through the middle back into the 2x2 located in the middle. I also sealed it up with weatherstripping.

Comment

Working...
              X