Tube amp Overdrive Pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube amp Overdrive Pedals

Hey guys really need some hel I jsut got a handmade amp on the weekend which is absed ona fender.

Anyway I need suggestions for a good pedal that works well with tubes, the best I can think of is the Ibanez TS-808 reissue which is gonna be more expensive than the TS9.

I am surviving using a cheapy danelectro overdrive which is good but I need something a little better.

And i'll possible be getting the boss SD-1 for a boost, any reccomendation's iv'e overlooked?

Cheers, Owain

Re: Tube amp Overdrive Pedals

what kind of tone are you looking for/what kind of music do you like?
    if you just need a pedal to drive your tubes abit here are some good ones.
    expensive: you can try the mesa vtwin, the budda zenmaster or the soldano supercharger.
    cheap: dod's yngwie signature pedal or boss ds1.
    these pedals add more of a boost to your amp, so its not super high gain.

Comment

www.analogman.com

Get a modded TS-9. Mike mods them so that you get a new pedal but it has all the original parts (unlike the Ibanez OR Maxon reissues)

Or, get a Keely modded DS-1. http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=10
      ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

I was in the studio working with a band once and the producer brought in a King of Brittons by Menatone. That thing sounded pretty good for an overdrive. For a fuzz, the Univox Super Fuzz is BY FAR the best fuzz pedal I have ever heard.

Comment

My favorite overdrive pedals are the Voodoo Labs Sparkle-Drive,the Boss OD-3 & the Ibanez TS-808 & TS-9!!My favorite distortion pedal is by far the Boss DS-1,very natural sounding distortion without being overly trebly/tinny!!IMHO,I'd go with the DS-1 as it has a great tone & you can always turn down the distortion & use it as an overdrive too!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Chucksplatter

Comment

I have a budda zen and its Very cool and easy to try different tubes with. The ts-9 is certainly a winner also,havent tried the boss.
            Custom Shop-There is no substitute!

Comment

Try a Boss SD-1 (yellow one). Its the only overdrive pedal I ever had and have used it with a number of tube and solid state amps but it really sounds nice with my JCM800 2203w 6550's [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

You also could get a Mesa V-twin pre-amp that will give you more gain or distortion. I may end up with one of those too [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

I use a Ts-9 that has the analogman silver mod in it. www.analogman.com is where you can get them. Very transparent. Get it. You won't want anything else after you try it. On a side note. I have a Boss SD 1 I will sell you if you want it because I don't use it now that I have the TS-9 silver mod.

Comment

Buy Firebirds sd1 it's a good place to start.If you don't get what you want out of it you can resell it without any loss, probably.I bought one new for $45.00 from GC and am very satisfied with it. It sounds great on a tube amp.

Comment

I just picked up last weekend the MXR Zakk Wylde overdrive and I love it. It will definitely be replacing my SD-1.

Sounds great in front of my Peavey Classic 30 or the Marshall 2203 w/6550s.

Jason

Comment

The Jekyll and Hyde pedal is cool because it has both overdrive/tube screamer or high gain levels.
                      I also dig the H&K Tube Factor.

Comment

I hear good things about Barber's overdrive pedal, and the Fulltone as well...

Comment

Well I play or try to play metal mostly.

I am thinking of the DOD YJM and DS-1 or SD-1 probably both of them as I can use the SD-1 as a boost, plus the DS-1 has more gain to adjust.

I can still use the danelectro for lower gain stuff.

Cheers, Owain

Comment

Hey Jason is the mxr Zakk overdrive really that much different then the sd1? I thought they were the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V:
                              I use a Ts-9 that has the analogman silver mod in it. www.analogman.com is where you can get them. Very transparent. Get it. You won't want anything else after you try it. On a side note. I have a Boss SD 1 I will sell you if you want it because I don't use it now that I have the TS-9 silver mod.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Firebird - have you compared the regular mod to the silver mod? My pedal has Mike's normal mod, not the silver one. I'm really happy with the pedal, but I wonder how much different the silver mod is?
                              ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Working...
                              X